• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TIRE PRESSURE (what do you run?)

fdsa487

NAXJA Forum User
What tire preassure do you guys run on the road w/ what tire size???
ALSO if/when you air down what preassure do you go to ???

I have 32X10.5X15's BFG M/T ON ROAD i run: 42psi (is this good?)
because i was looking at the door and the Cherokee recommends 33psi and the tire recommends 50psi!!! I dont get it!
OFF ROAD at the desert
if i have to air down at all I will air down to about: 15psi (is this good?)

The 50 psi rating is for maximim tire loading; you don't need to run that much pressure as it will create a harsh ride and probably wear out the centers of the tread since the XJ is fairly light weight.

I have generally run around 32-35 psi on the street, depending on vehicle payload, for stock, 30 31 32 & 35 inch tires.

Last edited:
35 12.50's 32lbs on the street. 8 lbs on the trail.

fdsa487 said:
SO BASICALLY, 42 is to much.... I just don’t want to create pre-mature tire wear on the outer edges by having to little of air. What about 35 would that be sufficient?

I guess you didn't understand what I said...

I run 30 on the pavement and about 15 on trail runs lower for rocks. I have 33x10.5s. The best gauge I've found is keep an eye on your tread and see where it is wearing and adjust from there. All tires are different. Especially if your going from Bias to radial or vise versa. 35 is still probably a little high and will wear the center.

I have 32X10.5X15's BFG M/T ON ROAD i run: 42psi (is this good?)
Read the post about chalk test
because i was looking at the door and the Cherokee recommends 33psi and the tire recommends 50psi!!! I dont get it!
yeah 33psi for what tire size? Oh.. and the 50psi is the max you should put in

if i have to air down at all I will air down to about: 15psi (is this good?)
depends on terrain. I air down often to 12 or 13 with 33x1250, but then also I had to reseat the bead once or twice on the trail.

Also try looking here

Kejtar said:
Read the post about chalk test

That's a great test if you can live with a tolerance of +- 5psi

I run my 33x12.50's with 25 to 30 psi and only go above 30psi(rear only) for hauling heavy loads or trailer towing. It is far more common to see center tread wear than outer edge wear because most guys run too much pressure.

MaXJohnson said:
That's a great test if you can live with a tolerance of +- 5psi

I run my 33x12.50's with 25 to 30 psi and only go above 30psi(rear only) for hauling heavy loads or trailer towing. It is far more common to see center tread wear than outer edge wear because most guys run too much pressure.

I run my BFG MT 33x12.50 at about 28psi on the streets and about 14ish on the trails

33" TSL bias ply on a 15" wheel

Street: 22# front 20# rear
Trail: between 6-4 lbs depending on where we are wheeling

So this POR guy on the quote on page one behind me doesn't think a snorkel works. Maybe you fellas with snorkels should take the bozo on a Creek run and see how long he giggles then. I think you would be giggling when he was standing on his hood in the middle of the Creek . It's a Jeep thing, he definetly wouldn't understand. I think they call those bolt ons, upgrades. Sintax is that someone you know ?

Last edited:
I've been running 31x10.50 BFG at kos for the past couple of years now. Even wear all the way around. I rotate every 5k miles and run with about 31 on the street and 15 or lower offroad. They still look new. They just don't want to wear out. I want an excuse to buy bigger tires...

K

I have been running 32 PSI in my 235 Radial TXRs. In an effort to increase my MPG, I inflated them to their max PSI, 50. I went from 13.5 mpg to 15.5 mpg. I was suprised that I got 2 mpg more.

i run at 30psi on-road and 15psi off-road with my 31x10.5-15's and my 265/75-16's

Back