• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

chevy 350 with a pic or two

Mr.OverKill

NAXJA Forum User
well i will try to get some to post now
DSCN0274.jpg

well this aint what i wanted

but i got them on
DSCN0256.jpg

is it from a boat? or is it just the valve covers? What all is involved with getting the mounts and everything set up? What is the rest of your drivetrain like? -Tim

boy i blew it, i spent 20 min doing a wright up on the install and lost it going for a pic.

DSCN0276.jpg

as you can see it is a boat motor, and unless i can get my sister in law to let me use her address in yuma :gag: it will be an off road only rig.
DSCN0279.jpg

here is a shot of the d/s motor mount, i bolted some 3/16 flat bar to the stock mounting places and ran them the length of the engine compartment using every mount hole i could thread a bolt into, then i mounted the motor mounts to some 1/4 6" channel and trimed the excess off. i then ( with some help from my dad ) lowered the block with the mounts attached in to position and bolted the bell housing on and set the hight for the whole thing, i went low enough to close the hood but i needed the space because i put an after market aircleaner in and i now sit 1/2" too high but that is just what the doctor ordered because with the vent/ scoop i made the under hood temps dont exist. the engine i keep cool for now with a high velocity BMW elec. fan mounted in front of the radiator pushing through the stock 2 pass rad, at idle after 20 min the top temp is 170* and under loads it stays between 210* and 220* whitch is quite all right for now but i plan to get an all aluminum 4 pass just to be sure.
so no one asks why i dont do it right right a way, i am on a very tight budget, so far the most i have spent on this whole addventure is for the bell housing from AA and the 7" of lift.

more later or pm me for more

Troy

Last edited:
Do you have a 4.0 in your boat now?

So what is different between the marine and auto 350 that makes you have to mount it like that?

Just curious.

Hmm, does the marine 350 use a Chev big block casting? Does this mean it's jsut a matter of time before a 454 is dropped into an XJ with a cowl induction hood?

<insert evil grin>

r@m

do you know waht kind of cam/pistons and what c/r you have? i've got marine 350 sitting round that i've been tempted to drop in my cj7, but i wanted to get an idea of the internals first.... supposed to be much stronger than the street version

When I did my 350 swap I used the Becool radiator part number 60088. Drops right in. I got mine from ebay for 360$. And mine runs at 190 all the time! How did you get the rams head manifolds in there? My passenger side would fit but not the drivers side. I had to get the AA conversion mounts. And even with a carb adapter and airfilter, I didnt have to cut the hood (1996 XJ 2DR). Why did you cut?

pbandj said:
do you know waht kind of cam/pistons and what c/r you have? i've got marine 350 sitting round that i've been tempted to drop in my cj7, but i wanted to get an idea of the internals first.... supposed to be much stronger than the street version

the pistons i have no clue, but the cam is a truck or low rpm heavy load/ power cam, the crank is a billet steel crank and the block is a 4 bolt main, it runs about 260 HP. it has standard small block dementions, i just did it without the AA cost for the addaptor mounts, i just set it in there and welded the stock style mounts to the frames i bolted in.:lecture:

i cut the hood because i didnt use the AA mount kit and i need to clear the filter, but if that was the only reason, i would have modded the filter mount and kept the hood stock but i needed to get rid of the heat under there too. besides people see the top of the filter and it makes them wonder what the heck i got in there:firedevil

well i really dont think i have tallied up the total but it wasnt much, lets do it like monster garage...

1985 XJ loredo ( bad engine )+ 1987 XJ ( rearended )$700.00
chevy 350 almost running, FREEBEE
AA bell housing, $380
3' of 6" channel $10
hardware, FREEBEE
toyota land cruser slave cylender, $60
10.5" clutch,$200
sell of the 1987 XJ, +$375
lift componants so far, $385
total for a road ready ( less the shocks and tires )

$1285.00

BALL PARK:lecture:

Did The Stock Manifolds Fit Well? Aa Headers Are Ugly As Hell. I Ordered Some And Sent Them Back. Your Stockers Look Better. I'm Probably Going To Make Some Out Of Stainless. I Just Picked Up 2 Lt1's For 500 Bucks, Complete With Everything From Starter To Fuel Injectors

sbxoxj said:
Did The Stock Manifolds Fit Well? Aa Headers Are Ugly As Hell. I Ordered Some And Sent Them Back. Your Stockers Look Better. I'm Probably Going To Make Some Out Of Stainless. I Just Picked Up 2 Lt1's For 500 Bucks, Complete With Everything From Starter To Fuel Injectors

sweet deal, i did not want to deal with any computers, so, I DIDN'T!
enough on that,( by the way, i hate wireing ) the stock chevy pickup ram horn manifolds fit real sweet, i did have to grind about an 1/8" off the passenger side collector to give the 1/2" clearance i wanted, other than that they went in like nothen.:) i acctually used them because i couldnt afford any slick fit headers, if you can find pre 1986 non high performance rear dump exhaust manifolds from a chevy, pontiac or some cadilacs ( cars only ) they are suposed to work too but i prefered the ram horns.

Troy

Last edited:
I think that all people that have chevy engine or anything not jeep in their jeep should post some pics of their vehicles. I need to get some ideas of what I need to do anyway :)

I saw this thread when I was putting mine together looking for cooling solutions. Now that it's been in for a few months, I can say that a high compression AMC V-8 (I know, Chevy thread) will be fine with a stock replacement 91 and up radiator on the street. On the trail, couldn't say for sure, probably nothing shrouds on the dual electric fans wouldn't fix.

pardon the mess in this pic, mucho better now. This before the rad swap too.
Haha- if you look real close you can see where I had two different size heater
hoses clamped together, with a high flow 10mm nut in the middle. :pig:
Gotta love booty fab.

Last edited:
Back