• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Found a Dana 44, what should I replace the open carrier with?

89CAXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Finally found a dana 44 rear axle at the junk yard. Its an open carrier and I wanted to replace it.

Its my daily driver, it sees alot of trail use between July and Dec. while Im in the local mountains. I have been on some fairly rough trails but Im not building a rockcrawler.

What would be a good fit for the SoCal freeways and the mountains??

My current 35C has a spicer posi in it.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

I have an Aussie in mine and drive it daily. It really makes a big difference on the trail and I can live with it on the street. I am running 4.56 gears and 33" bfg mt's in a five speed. They tell me that the lunch box lockers are even easier to live with in an auto. i bought mine new for around $230 and did the install myself. Good luck.

If money was no object, I'd spend the money on a Detroit Electrac...limited slip during normal use until you push the button, then full-on locker...

But I'm broke and cheap so I have an EZ Locker :laugh3:

full-Detroit locker... i had one behind an automatic last year and it was very predictable and nearly transparent.. you learn quickly when to get out of the throttle. it is quite a chore behind a manual trans though... in which case i'd go for something selectable with the least moving parts and sub-systems...

Back