• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Possible Starter Problem

jacobyj2

NAXJA Forum User
When I turn the key on my 88 xj instead of the engine turning over there is a series of clicks, which sound as though they are comming from the starter. I have a replacement but am wondering if anyone has come across this and has a simpler solution than replacing the starter.

probably the battery or a bad connection. check the connections at the starter and battery. try jumping the vehicle. that will let you know if you need a starter or a battery. gl DIRT

The simpliest way is to disconnect the green wire (middle wire on the battery side of the relay, pulls straight off) from the starter relay (under the black plastic lid next to the battery), and touch the wire to the middle stud - this will bypass the relay and send battery power straight to the starter. If it still clicks, the starter is bad. If the starter turns over, then the relay is bad.

Back