• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front D44 questions......

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
Ok I have a 79 front Ford D44. Cast radius mounts. Could a bolt on adapter be built to adapt them to the 5 link of the xj? Anyone dont this? Or is the best way to go with this axle is the radius arms?

Most people with the radius arm mounts cast use them with stock radius arms or modify the existing axle radius arm design. with some clever fab i beleive you could make something to use the stock setup.

Seems like more trouble than it's worth.
If you want to run a stock style suspension, get another front axle housing.

just modify the radius arms and use them, it works pretty well, look at both of FarmerMatt's Jeeps. No one makes a bolt-on kit, and the RE weld on brackets would be somewhere between difficult and impossible to get to work with the cast wedges (and a LOT more expensive than using the Ford arms).

Jes said:
Seems like more trouble than it's worth.
If you want to run a stock style suspension, get another front axle housing.

If this were an option I'd do that. I have this axle and the front HP 44's are at a premium arround here. Hell all axles are at a premium arround here. They want $500 for a xj 35! Any questions?

Use the OEM Ford style radius arms.

There is no reason you couldn't use the end of the stock RA's and weld an LCA mount to them, and then cook up some UCA mounts. The trouble of doing this far outweighs the benefits, and you'd still be stuck with the crappy stock XJ 4-link.

CRASH said:
Use the OEM Ford style radius arms.

There is no reason you couldn't use the end of the stock RA's and weld an LCA mount to them, and then cook up some UCA mounts. The trouble of doing this far outweighs the benefits, and you'd still be stuck with the crappy stock XJ 4-link.

Ummm, last time I check it was a 5 link. So you are also saying that radius arms are better then the stock 5 link?

Ghost said:
Ummm, last time I check it was a 5 link. So you are also saying that radius arms are better then the stock 5 link?

Yes, when properly tuned, I believe they are.

CRASH

I never count the Panhard bar when counting links.

Or just retube that housing. There are axles shops retubing for $200-$300 all over.

Full width sucks anyway. If I wanted a full size I would buy one. :D

Lincoln said:
Or just retube that housing. There are axles shops retubing for $200-$300 all over.

Full width sucks anyway. If I wanted a full size I would buy one. :D

I like my 9" that I put in a few weeks ago. The width I dont havwe a problem with its the links or lake there of! Anyone done a bolt in RA mount that incorporates the upper and lca mounts?

i saw a buit EB last night at SACNutz (the stunt bike team)'s shop that used the radius arm ends, and then he cut off the arm - and wleded a LCA mount to the remainder of the radius arm...

kinda confusing, but might be helpful...

he was also running a dual tirangluated 4 link with no track bar...

The upper arms went from the outside to the center
the lower arms went from a bracket internal on the framerails to the outter edge of the axle...

another option to think about...

Back