• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock springs

tireroastin93XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone used the stock replacement Quadratec rear leafs and front coils in the Essentials catalog? Mine are sagging and ride like crap. Was going to do a RE 3" lift but my budget won't allow it. The prices seem reasonable was just wondering how well they hold up.

Thanks,
Mike Harris

hey Mike,
i have no experience with the quadratec replcements but you said you was on a budget, i figiured i would reply, if you look in the FS forum there are alot of guys on here who have stock coils up for grabs, for instance i have 2 stock front coils from the front of a 99 w/ 43,000 highway miles on them, sitting in my driveway collecting dust...you could buy those or someone elses set and then just pay quartec for the replacement rear springs, or you might get lucky and find someone on here selling those too...hth
Pm/make me an offer if you want them coils...
Maier
[email protected]

It's unusual for the front coils to sag much. You should probably concentrate on the rear springs. If you're on a tight budget, doing a home brew AAL using a pair of used XJ main leaves is the way to go. It'll get back the height you lost to sagging, plus make the springs a bit stronger to resist further sagging.

Read this
http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/home_brew_budget_boost.htm

Well, no ideas on why the link isn't working. But I can summarize what it says about the rear springs.

Find a set of springs out on an XJ. Maybe junkyard, or maybe there's a NAXJA member near you who took out the stock springs to install lift springs.

Disassemble the springs. Set aside everything except the two main leaves. Cut the bushing eyes off the ends. Get a pair of new center pins (if there isn't a spring shop near you, look up the web site for Husky Spring Company), and some new rebound clips because you'll have to cut the old ones off. Jack up your XJ, support the axle on a jack and the chassis on jack stands, take off the axle u-bolts and put in the "new" main leaves as add-a-leaves in your existing spring packs. It'll give you about 1-1/2" of lift (plus or minus maybe 1/4").

gjxj said:
FWIW quadratec's "OEM" parts (which are not really OEM..) come from crown automotive
They are very good quality, but I reccomend going to the crown site and finding a (any) dealer other that QT.

http://www.crownautomotive.net/
Not all are Crown. Some are Omix-ADA. I think the quality is about equal to Crown, but that's still not equal to OEM. Crown stuff is usually about have the cost of dealer, even at my dealer discount. I buy it, but there are some Crown items that don't live as long as the OEM. If you buy from a Crown dealer, ask with regard to any item if they've had them returned. The place I buy from is up-front with me, and if the Crown part isn't up to the task they'll tell me to buy Mopar.

Eagle said:
............. It'll give you about 1-1/2" of lift (plus or minus maybe 1/4").

Would you consider this the *best* lift option for 2" and under?

I want about a 1-2" lift, but don't like the *budget boost* approach, i.e., AAL, shakles, etc. Just a personal thing.

So, what's the best *non-budget*, bolt-on, 2" and under lift for an old DD with sagging rear? There are so many confusing options out there.

TIA... Maz

Ditto, on the suggestion to look for someone who swaped out the stock springs and leafs.

Maz said:
Would you consider this the *best* lift option for 2" and under?

I want about a 1-2" lift, but don't like the *budget boost* approach, i.e., AAL, shakles, etc. Just a personal thing.

So, what's the best *non-budget*, bolt-on, 2" and under lift for an old DD with sagging rear? There are so many confusing options out there.

TIA... Maz

Ditto, on the suggestion to look for someone who swaped out the stock springs and leafs.
Blocks are bad -- they don't reinforce tired springs at all, and by contributing to spring/axle wrap they actually accelerate spring fatigue. Longer shackles are almost as bad -- they don't contribute as much to axle wrap, but they also don't strengthen tired springs.

The home-brew lift I described and written up by Rock Lizard is an AAL solution. It just uses parts that are less expensive than buying a commercial AAL kit, and yields less lift. I grossed 1-1/4" on the one I did. It had sagged about half an inch, so the net was 3/4" higher than "stock" -- hardly even noticeable. That was on an '88 with 165,000 miles on it. Another person in the North Atlantic Chapter did it on his 2000 when it was fairly new, and he gained 1-1/2". His had not sagged before he started, so he got a true 1-1/2" lift.

By contrast, Rancho sells a full-length AAL kit for the XJ (which isn't as long as the cut-off main leaves of the home-brew approach) and it is advertised to provide 2" to 2-1/2" of lift.

So it depends on what you want to accomplish. If you want LIFT, you either buy a commercial kit or you do the home brew but use two extra leaves rather than one. If you want to restore a set of tired OEM springs to around stock height and get some extra carrying capacity without spending a lot of money, the home-brew approach is the way to go.

The *best* lift for 2" and under? If you want a great 2" lift and money is not an object -- buy an OME lift kit. It includes springs and shocks, is reported to ride better than stock, it's designed and fabricated for the Australian outback so it's durable -- but it's gonna cost ya.

The usual objection to AAL lifts is that they sag rather quickly. That's because the AAL has more arch than the other leaves, so initially the AAL is fighting the rest of the leaves in the pack. The best part of the home-brew AAL is that you're using an AAL that has the same native arch as the rest of the leaves in the pack, so they all work together. There probably won't be any sag at all, because both the original springs and the AALs will be "pre-settled."

Ride using the home-brew is very comfortable. The one I did was driven from Connecticut to Montana after I finished it, and the ride was very, very comfortable. Slightly firmer than stock, but nothing even approaching "harsh." That one was done for a friend. I'll be doing the same lift again, on my own '88, this summer.

Eagle said:
The *best* lift for 2" and under? If you want a great 2" lift and money is not an object -- buy an OME lift kit... but it's gonna cost ya.

Ride using the home-brew is very comfortable. .

Thanks Eagle for the education. Knowing my abilities, or lack thereof, the home-brew is out of Q. So, I'll look into OME 2" lift. Higher cost is OK as long it means quality and durability. With OME, I have read a ton arguing pro and con. I suppose it is a toss up.

Does the OME 2" yield a true 2"? Or, is it like most kits I read about which give an extra 1/2" to 1" than advertised?

Intended use is occasional off-road, and not rock climbing.

Thanks again for the reply ... Maz

My OME has been on my 87xj for two years now, it's at one and a half inch over stock in the front and 2 inches in the back. Excellent set up, I highly recommend it.

Ron Hyslop said:
........ it's at one and a half inch over stock in the front and 2 inches in the back. Excellent set up, I highly recommend it.

I like those lift numbers. Do you remember the kit number, and where you got it from?

I just measured the height of the the fender lip from ground, using a construction level, at the center of the wheel (tire size 215-75-15).

Numbers are 29 3/8" at the rear and 30 1/2" at the front (driver side, empty truck); in other words, the rear sits more than an inch lower than the front.

Somebody please confirm if the rear is sagging. I don't know what the factory stock height numbers are supposed to be.

Would somebody gine me a pointer on where to start looking for the OME kit? Did a brief Google search and came up empty.

Mega TIA ... Maz

I bought the standard set-up, I believe the front are 930 coils and rear are jc2b leafs. The shocks were the standard soft ride, not the cushy ride. If you have a winch bumper you'll probably need the heavy duty coils up front. The ARB guys in Seatle(toll free number, check ARBUSA.COM) can help you decide what you need and refer you to a dealer. I did not get the transfer case drop kit. Stay away from urethane bushings.

Thanks "Ron Hyslop" and "drifto77" for the info.
"tire roastin93XJ", sorry for jumping in and adding my Q's to your thread. Hope you didn't mind it much :)

-Maz

Back