• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

90XJ, 4.0: engine fan blows into radiator

burntkat

NAXJA Member #1145
Well, folks-- something is not quite right....

I routed the belt as per the diagram that Bill sent me, out of the FSM. <Vehicle is a 90 XJ, with 4.0, AC, AT>

Now, the fan rotates backwards. That is to say, when viewing the engine from the front, in the vehicle <standing toes-on to the front of the motor>, the fan rotates counterclockwise <will double check this after a sec>. Suffice it to say, any idiot who understands how a fan works, can tell the fan will be blowing air from back to front, OUT the grill. This can't possibly be right!

I have the right belt, as per the computers at 4 different parts places <1025K6>. I also have the right fan "lay" <reverse rotation> as per the computer at Advanced Auto and perhaps Autozone as well. I compared the lay of the fan to the old fan I took out. They're identical. So I'm left to assume either:

1) The AMC engineers know something I don't about blowing air into a 60MPH headwind and cooling motors <possible, but rather counter-intuitive>

2) The parts computers at several parts houses are wrong, as was the person who put the fan on this truck before I bought it

3) I've entirely botched the belt routing. Highly doubtful, as it's taken from the FSM.

If any of you have a 4.0 in your truck, circa 1990 or thereabouts, with AC, I'd greatly appreciate it if you wouldn't mind telling me which direction the crank rotates in, and which direction the fan pulley rotates in <clockwise or counter, looking head-on at the motor, for both>.

Thanks for the help, folks. This is enticingly close to running. If I can just address this "problem" and get the PS pulley and fan shroud from Hoover tomorrow, I'll have her on the road this weekend <assuming the tranny is good... PRAY!!>

My fan also rotates counterclockwise, viewed as you describe from the front of the motor looking aft. But my fan is constructed to blow air the correct way. It sounds like you have the wrong fan. Is it possible to install it backwards? I haven't had the pleasure of removing mine :)

Yeah- I got to looking at it, and it would seem like it isn't actually a reverse-rotation unit. I must be incorrect in thinking that it matched the other.

So I'm now trying to decide if I want to get the correct flex-fan, or go with an electric. We'll see....

Sounds like you need to unbolt the fan from the engine and take the blades off the fan clutch and turn em around. Flip the fan over and rebolt it to the clutch. May be pissin in the wind here, but that sounds like the most likely and most obvious reason. HTH

Mike

Backdraft said:
Sounds like you need to unbolt the fan from the engine and take the blades off the fan clutch and turn em around. Flip the fan over and rebolt it to the clutch.

Please tell me you're kidding, and realize how ridiculous this is?
The fan blades will not point the other way if you flip the fan over...

The fan in the XJ is a reverse rotation fan. It is supposed to rotate backwards or left hand looking at the top. If your fan blows air backwards, ie; from the engine to the radiator, then it means you either have the a right hand fan or it is installed incorrectly. I am assuming you have a 4.0L engine.

Sorry, I was a bit tired and obviously not thinking straight. Only thing that made me think of it was i remember reading on a fan from a ZJ "engine side". made sense at the time, but not now after i actually think about it. So, in other words, please disregard my last bit of advice. LOL Only thing I can think of is a normal rotating fan because I DO know that ours are supposed to be reverse rotating. Flex or electric might be a better way to go. Last time I called the dealer (about a month ago) the blades alone were around 60 bucks.

Misinformed Mike:confused:

No prob, Mike-- and yes, I just verified it is indeed a normal rotation fan that I bought. Box was mislabeled, and I was too tired to think right when I put it on <I did a lot of late-night work on the truck in the first month I owned it>

Looking for the PROPER reverse flex fan in town, now....

Back