• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WILL this Long Arm Upgrade Work!!!

fdsa487

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 XJ with the RE 5.5" Kit on it. I really want to make it a long arm but the RE Long Arm Upgrade is like $900. I dont know how much the TeraFlex Long Arm Kit is but im assuming that it's cheaper and im curious if you guys think that it would work since i have the RE kit installed.

from the pictures of the RE longarm I've seen, I wouldn't even consider it.

the TNT kit looks by far to be the best radius arm/long arm. the FullTraction kit looks to be great also (non-radius arm) but my understanding is you have to buy the whole kit with springs and everything.

OK so it WILL work. That is good. What allignment issues will i be confronted with when i install a long arm??? Would it be correct to say that I would not come up with any allignment issues that could not be corrected by my "local allighment shop"? I dont know what the difference is between non-radious arm and radious arm means. Which is better and which is on that Teraflex kit? Does anyone have this Teraflex kit on their Jeep?

fdsa487 said:
I was thinking about drop brakets. What is the down side to drop brackets? Is there one?

I really have no complaints. They have hit rocks and they hit climbing down ledges at times. They have never hung me up on anything. I usually get hung up on my diffs. I have 33's and I'm sure with 35's would be even better. They greatly improved my onroad ride and helped keep my caster in spec.

The only thing I have heard is the arc that all shortarms follow. Meaning that short armsfollow a very tight arc and the tire will either turn up into the fender wells or turn down into the frame when flexed. Long arms Have a larger radius and the movement of the axle is more linear, straight up and down.

If your a hardcore wheeler and you want a kit, look int the TNT kit mentioned. If your just a weekend wheeler and want a better ride. I say get the dropbrackets.

Thanks! You have convinced me to get the drop brackets. Is there a kit that comes with everything that i would need? I was looking on the RE website and they have like 1.2 Million different brackets on there. Who do you recommend has the best? AND last and final question of the day, Do i only lower the lower control arms or the uppers as well??? THANKS

fdsa487 said:
Thanks! You have convinced me to get the drop brackets. Is there a kit that comes with everything that i would need? I was looking on the RE website and they have like 1.2 Million different brackets on there. Who do you recommend has the best? AND last and final question of the day, Do i only lower the lower control arms or the uppers as well??? THANKS

The DB's lower both the uppers and lowers.

You want to make sure you get the braces that go with them. Try DPG or Fullsize, those are vender that I heard can give good service.

Quote "The DB's lower both the uppers and lowers.

You want to make sure you get the braces that go with them. Try DPG or Fullsize, those are vender that I heard can give good service."

I don’t know what DB is

I don’t know what DPG of Fullsize is

Can you please spell out these apparent acronyms.

fdsa487 said:
Quote "The DB's lower both the uppers and lowers.

You want to make sure you get the braces that go with them. Try DPG or Fullsize, those are vender that I heard can give good service."

I don’t know what DB is

I don’t know what DPG of Fullsize is

Can you please spell out these apparent acronyms.

DB ='s drop brackets
DPG and Fullsize ='s good vendor's

Check www.rawbrown.com

Hes local in SD and carries RE parts and usually can get you a pretty good price.

DB = Drop Brackets

Fullsize = vendor

The Tera kits castor/driveshaft geometry is worse than stock,it rolls the pinion down horribly when fully flexed.All the other mentioned kits(other than Tera,RE LA's) would be good investments,I finally got to wheel with someone who has the Full-Traction kit,I was really impressed with the quality of the kit!

Jusging by his reaction to the DB suggestion i would say he wheels on the weekends once in a while.

Go drop brackets, i love mine, much better on road and much better flex offroad

You can get the whole setup from RE (does anybody else make these??) YOu need to order the DP and the support brackets, i want to say its like $350 shipped.

Back