• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine cut out

bocaj

NAXJA Forum User
my engine started cutting out friday morning. just all of the sudden the rpms dive to 0 and jerks itself back to life within a second or two. it does it like once or twice every time i drive it out of nowhere, whether its full throttle in 2nd or on cruise control in 5th. i replaced the oil sender sunday(that died friday) and fuel filter monday. i dont really know what it could be. i noticed if i shut off the ignition and turn the key back on it starts itself smoothly, but when it cuts out it starts with a hard jerk, hard enough to make the cd skip. i dont loose power, the radio keeps playing. its a 93 5 spd 4.0 any ideas?

Fuel filter is facing the correct way, right? How's your CPS behaving?

If you still have the original factory CPS, it's a near cert that it's on the way out. Checking the resistance across the connector pins is pointless because it may be normal unless the sensor just happens to act up at the time. I suggest you just replace it. I had exactly the same problem on my '92 XJ two years ago and that was the cure.

it did it again today twice. but it cut out for longer. i thought maybe it could be the fuel pump? how much should a cps cost? and how much for a fuel pump?

There is a way to test the CPS (sorry I can't give a link) with a voltmeter.
They do go, but are fairly reliable overall.
(cost about 85 in VT)
I would think about the return fuel line from the rail.. Mine had a chunk of goo in it, and it built up too much pressure and would kill the engine. I blew it out with compressed air and it has been good since.

bocaj said:
it did it again today twice. but it cut out for longer. i thought maybe it could be the fuel pump? how much should a cps cost? and how much for a fuel pump?

The CPS is $38.50 from http://www.tapcointernational.com and it's listed under engine speed sensors. Replace that first because it's the cheaper and easier fix. If that doesn't cure the stalling (I'm sure it will), then you can turn your attention to the fuel pump.

it got worse at a quarter tank. after i put some gas in it, it didnt do it as often. so im guessing its the fuel pump. i was told by my friend who used to work at napa that the whole assembly (fuel pump module?)was the thing to get. but it was 300 bucks, he said he sold alot of those to jeepers when he worked there

Just a thought. Check the fuel pump resistor on the drivers side fender. It's a ceramic thing with two plugs on it. Just unplug it and jumper the two wires together. If that stops yor problem, a replacement part is only about ten bucks at autozone.

Good luck.

Back