• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rails

xjjeepthing

NAXJA Forum User
I spoke with AJ on his rails will be ordering a set soon was wondering from the guys who have then what style do you like the best the 2x2 or the super rails he has round or square most of my wheelin involves my hunting,getting over an occasional log and some steep inclines and maybe a trip or 2 a year to Attica or Redbird SRA. Any info is helpfull thanks as always.

AJ is a great guy and makes great stuff but I am partial to Kevin's rails. Does AJ attach his to the pinch seam or leave the cutout like Kevin does?

AJ's rails attach to the pinch seem,im not as concerned about brands as i am the style.Which does everybody like the standard 2x2 square rail or the 2x2's with the extended tubes was curiuse.

I've got the Stage II's from JCR Offroad. I really like them. Gave them a good work out last weekend with good results.

100_0601.jpg

100_0612.jpg

HTH

man i love his superrails. very helpful also don't they cost less than 200. seems like a deal to me

the pinch seam attachment is a big issue. kevinsjeepparts.com you'll see how you notch the seam a bit so that the pressure is sent through the unibody and not the seam... I love em....

i made my own out of 2x2 and welded on some bent schedule 80 tubing at an angle up, and they look sick plus they give you a good jack point, and piviot point if your up agianst a tree. one more bonus if there far enough out anyone who tries to door ding you will have a BIG surprise.

96mdxjcountry said:
the pinch seam attachment is a big issue. kevinsjeepparts.com you'll see how you notch the seam a bit so that the pressure is sent through the unibody and not the seam... I love em....
I'm not seeing the big issue on that, can you explain?

as to the original post i got ajs superrails the ones with the round second step/bars...(funny how jcr's new superrails look almost exactly like ajs), Ajs service was excellent and other than a fedex screw job everything worked great and i love them (saved me a ass load of bitching cuz the girl can get in with out jumpin now), so i say rounds....

I'll be in the market for rails this summer, so I'd like to hear someone answer AJ's question: what's so bad about mounting to the pinch seam? It looks like the mount would distribute the weight along the entire seam, so you'd have to hit it pretty hard to bend it up.

96mdxjcountry said:

AJsArmor said:
I'm not seeing the big issue on that, can you explain?

Yeah, let's hear it...

DaveD912 said:
I'll be in the market for rails this summer, so I'd like to hear someone answer AJ's question: what's so bad about mounting to the pinch seam? It looks like the mount would distribute the weight along the entire seam, so you'd have to hit it pretty hard to bend it up.

there is nothing wrong with mounting to the pinch seam. all good rails that i have seen are mounted to the pinch seam.

I think the answer is, there isn't an issue. Never heard back from a single person with anything remotely related to any pinch seam damage/failure. Possibly with other mfg's there can be a problem, can't speak for them. The only difference I notice in some is that they use a flat strip for a mount where as I use a piece of angle. Most only have the pinch seam welded at the framerail leg mounts and on mine I weld them there as well as run 3 supports to the rockrail tube which I feel really helps. A person can throw ideas and principles around all they want, in the end the trail decides what works.

AJsArmor said:
A person can throw ideas and principles around all they want, in the end the trail decides what works.

Very true, and well said.

What is the weight diffrence between the 1/8th wall and the thicker aj's super rail? Thanks Ben

i recently installed a set of A.J., rails and they are a lot like the jcr's in the photo except A.J.'s are better, why? well like he said he uses a angle piece that is WELDED very well to the rail and he is now putting on a rear welded mount for the rear spring hanger. (bolt ,lock ,washer's etc) which i think helps tremendously considering the spring mount is already part of the structure of the Jeep. to answer the original question, dude your going to have to decide what style you like yourself, round, square, whatever. i think something round stickin out is a little more forgiving to my old bones! just buy from A.J., and be happy!!

Back