• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stripped calliper bolt

Ramsey

NAXJA Forum User
the bolt where one of hte two for the caliper to go in is stripped to a point. it will go in and not get tighter and when you turn it it moves around in an elliptical pattern. it has been this way a while as i havent had time to do anyhting nor have i known what to do. i feel i have been pushing my luck and need to do something. any suggestions please

well doesnt it just go through the caliper and screw on to the ...whatever youcall it

Now I'm unclear on the problem. Is the threaded hole in the caliper bracket stripped, or is the hole in the caliper itself egg-shaped?

If it's the thread in the bracket, drill it out and use a helicoil, as already suggested.

its the bracket. thanks

Just thought I'd add a few things as I've been through this myself.

1. Fix it as soon as possible, mine came out cuasing the caliper to bind up breaking the rotor and locking up the wheel.

2. Depending on the year of your XJ you may be able to replace the caliper mount (90 and down I think). Look for two inverted torx head bolts holding the caliper bracket to the spindle. Newer models the caliper mounts driectly to the spindle and thus your only options are heli-coil or new spindle.

I also just went through this too. I started a thread a few months ago. In fact I think it was titled exactly what yours is. You might wanna search back and see if you can find it because someone gave me the right size and thread count of the heli-coil. I think it was 8mm X 1.5 but not sure.
Be warned though...those suckers are expencive. Cost me 35 bucks for the kit and I had to buy the whole thing.

yeah i found the thread. thanks. 35$ isnt to bad but more than i can afford right now :( time to borrow from pops. where can i get these at, the helicoils i mean

DrMoab said:
I also just went through this too. I started a thread a few months ago. In fact I think it was titled exactly what yours is. You might wanna search back and see if you can find it because someone gave me the right size and thread count of the heli-coil. I think it was 8mm X 1.5 but not sure.
Be warned though...those suckers are expencive. Cost me 35 bucks for the kit and I had to buy the whole thing.

35 bucks is still cheaper than a 300 dollar Knuckle (mopar stealership)

the helicoils really, are just a band-aid. they will fix the problem, with the bolt, but check and see where the caliper contacts the knuckle, if it's gouging, and causing nice size indentions, replace the knuckle!!!

I'm going through the same problems right now!! it's a chrysler thing

Ramsey said:
yeah i found the thread. thanks. 35$ isnt to bad but more than i can afford right now :( time to borrow from pops. where can i get these at, the helicoils i mean
what year and what size. I got one of an 88 axle you can have for shipping. John

Back