• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaky axle

94XJ4x4

NAXJA Forum User
There is fluid driping out of my d30 axle housing on the driver side. This is probably a dumb question. Is there a seal there that is leaking? There has to be a seal right?

94XJ4x4 said:
There is fluid driping out of my d30 axle housing on the driver side. This is probably a dumb question. Is there a seal there that is leaking? There has to be a seal right?
Yep its a seal. You need to have the whole carrier removed to replace it.

94XJ4x4 said:
ugh... maybe ill just do the axle swap now. haha
The seal in the rear 44 I swaped in is leakin, so back to the shop she goes.

I dont know. I havent gotten a chance to go to the local 4x4 shop to get a quote.

94XJ4x4 said:
eh... ill probably end up doing it myself anyway. money is tight. I love haynes and chiltons manuals. they save me so much $ :D
Do you know how to set your gear backlash and all that other crap?

nope notta clue. Ill have to do some research first. If you could point me in the right direction that would be great. I may have to suck it up and take it to a shop... but i need to learn this stuff eventually might as well practice on an axle i will swap in the future anyway right?

robz95xj said:
Do you know how to set your gear backlash and all that other crap?
If all you're doing is replacing the seals, you don't need to set backlash or anything else. Just remember to replace the caps in the exact same positions when you pull the carrier.

Back