• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Steering Noise

GudaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I just got a 98 Cherokee and When I turn the wheel the power steering pump or box? makes noise. I've checked the fluid level and its fine. Are they noisey to begin with or am I missing something. I know this is a stupid question. I figure its a bad pump or steering box. But maybe thers something else. I duno if power steering box is the right word..

It sounds like the pump. The part that the belt runs thru that has the reservoir. It is a little over $100. Pretty easy swap if you use wrenchs very often. Take out the air box, the aux fan first then it gives you a lot more room. Put a screw driver metal end on the pump and the plastic to your ear. If it is extremely loud it is probably the pump.

Is the pump making noise only when you are turning your wheel? Is the noise something recent or have you had the noise for some time?

My 2000 XJ PS pump has made a whine since I bought it new and only when turning the wheel. Hasn't seemed to have gotten any worse, so I don't worry about it.
Now if yours is recent, makes more than a whine and sounds a bit like squeezing the gonads on a hog, then you my have a pump going bad.

pumps will be noisy so dont worry about it, even new ones. just be concerned when it starts to leak or spew out fluid lol. mine on my 96 made god-awful noises but operated fine (i actually got pulled over once because an officer was concerned about the noise). finally after a few months it died and threw up fluid around my engine bay.

if/when you replace yours, it would probably be a decent idea to replace the high and low pressure lines as well as maybe the serpentine belt while youre at it

as posted above, use a mechanic's stethoscope or makeshift tubing and check if the noise is coming from the box or the pump

mine started to squeals so bad. came out that my high pressure line started to leaks... lot

i swapped it out and bled the system to get the damn air out (which took me a while) and now it dont squeals and seem to be OK now. so its possible that a line leaks and let air into the system and causes the pump to squeals....

corroded old pieces of the pressure lines and other gunk if the fluid is dirty will eventually damage the pump and could make it squeal. thats why you want to make sure when you swap in a new one, to first flush the system with new ps fluid (or some use cheap ATF for the flush)

Back