• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Burried

GudaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Oh boy... I just got my lift on with 32" mud terrains and I got it stuck. Its funny how much balls they give you until you have one side burried in mud/water. I had the front axle stuck under water/mud for like 12 hours. I guess my question is shoulw i be worried about contamination and just change my diff fluids. Could water have leaked in during that time? I know its got a vent hose does that go up to the firewall cause water didnt reach that high it was only up to the front bumper.

GudaXJ said:
Oh boy... I just got my lift on with 32" mud terrains and I got it stuck. Its funny how much balls they give you until you have one side burried in mud/water. I had the front axle stuck under water/mud for like 12 hours. I guess my question is shoulw i be worried about contamination and just change my diff fluids. Could water have leaked in during that time? I know its got a vent hose does that go up to the firewall cause water didnt reach that high it was only up to the front bumper.

play it safe. Flush it.

Yes you should change your diff fluids. Its more important on a D30(front) than a D35(rear), but its cheap insurance anyway. Also hit the ujoints with a squirt or two of grease. It wouldn't hurt to pull the rear drums and wash any mud or dirt out as well

Thanks for the quick responses.. Yeah i figure i'd play it safe and do it soon. Do you guys think i'm hurting it bad driving it right now?

GudaXJ said:
Thanks for the quick responses.. Yeah i figure i'd play it safe and do it soon. Do you guys think i'm hurting it bad driving it right now?

I wouldn't. It'll take you an hour or so.

Pull the front brakes and clean the calipers too. you will be shocked at how much mud will be in the front brakes.
just spent the better part of 2 weeks cleaning my XJ. Seems it rolled into the mud pit at Gore VA during Big Dogs Ice Breaker event. hehehe
NEVER AGAIN!

Beer is bad for ya.

yes it will hurt the axle if it is full with water and you drive it before you pull the cover grab your hose and shoot a spray of water down the front axle tubes there is a seal at the pumpkin but the tubes fill with mud and lead to premature failure of the inner seals.

bj-666 said:
yes it will hurt the axle if it is full with water and you drive it before you pull the cover grab your hose and shoot a spray of water down the front axle tubes there is a seal at the pumpkin but the tubes fill with mud and lead to premature failure of the inner seals.

I killed an axle after getting my first jeep stuck in mud/water for a day. I didn't change the diff fluid.... I didn't know any better then.... Change it ASAP. I would change it at the trail head just to be sure.

hey guys I Just saw this post, dont mean to steal your thread but I recently Just got stuck to....the water/mud was up to my mid door, Just over the headlights, I'v got a snorkel so I stayed running and was only under for no longer then min thanks to quick response from the person ahead of me...they yanked me out and the 1" of water that came Into the Jeep poured out...I dont have extended breathing tubes...should I be ok without flushing since I was only in for 1 min?

Play it safe, change it. What happens is that a warm axle.bearings.seals tend to pull water in thru them. Remember the seals are not made so much to keep stuff out as keep lube in.

i drowe for about 10 mins... 100meters from the beach ... in the lake... after that i did not use 4x4 .. for like two months... when tried to engage made a stupid noise ... opened it up, everything in there was rusted to shit... needed new gears ... also my axle tube seals went and started leaking shortly after... expensive shit...

be safe and check it now, because later on YOU WILL REGRET IT...

righteyejoe said:
would you also recomend to change the trans fluid?
Would you want to risk several hundred dollars in damage to save a few bucks on an oil change? After giving it a bath, I'd recommend changing out all fluids...

Yucca-Man said:
Would you want to risk several hundred dollars in damage to save a few bucks on an oil change? After giving it a bath, I'd recommend changing out all fluids...

X3

Water gets in everything.

Daryl

well...after ANYTHING LIKE THAT .... you have to..... and i will repeat... you have to check your diffs, and your tranny for water/mud:) btw these are not canadian women that you see in pics:) :pPPPPP White YJ was mine;)

water.jpg

water3.jpg

water2.jpg

Back