• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flushing Radiator,is this suppose to happen?

Atreyu

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I am in the process of flushing my radiator and first off the potcok drain plug is a b**ch to get to on my 2000 xj is yours? Well I finally flushed it acouple times but when the water/coolant comes out it takes really long! Sometimes it streams but mostly just a dribbling mess. Is it clogged? Is it suppose to dribble like thatand take that long? Also is the overflow bottle suppose to drain through the petcok too? thanks

Did you take the radiator cap off first?

No, the overflow bottle doesn't drain through the radiator drain - I'd recommend pulling it out and rinsing hte crud that's collected in there however.

yea I took the cap off. Ok I will clena the overflow. Thanks Yucca. Any other advice or help?

Grab a backflush kit from Prestone - real cheap and can be installed in minutes.

BTW, the petXXXX is a PITA unless you've removed the inner liner from the fender.

Edit: HA! petxxxx = p-e-t-c-o-c-k

XJack said:
BTW, the petXXXX is a PITA unless you've removed the inner liner from the fender.

Or unscrew the grille. Annoying that such a basic service item is friggin' inaccessible unless you've got two-foot-long triple-jointed fingers.

Just remove the lower radiator hose, alot faster. I usually remover the lower hose from the water pump and allow the coolant to collect into a bucket below.

i'll probably just remove the lower hose like jxj said IF I ever do it again because of that damn drain. What dumbazz came up with that one? Casm is right about it being such a shame that it's hard to get to since it's a basic service item. Anyways I finally got the whole thing drained and flushed it like 3 times, cleaned the overflow bottle then added new coolant. Thanks for the help guys!

Annoying that such a basic service item is friggin' inaccessible unless you've got two-foot-long triple-jointed fingers.[/QUOTE said:
well my wife loves the fact that i can reach that thing sooooo easily!!!!!!

the petXXXX i mean.

Troy

Back