• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new seats installed [writeup]

fatwreck

NAXJA Forum User
After buying a DD XJ and seeing how nasty the seats were from the previous owner.....I figured it would be a good time to upgrade the seats in my trail rig and then move those seats over to the DD.

I looked around and decided to go with the corbeau baja ss. I like the way they look and I rode around in a couple of different rigs that had them. I also liked the price.....it was much more reasonable than PRP seats and about half as expensive as the mastercraft rubicons.

When I bought them, I decided not to buy the brackets for 2 reasons:
1) I like working on projects and I like have the challenge of figuring out how to make things work.
2) I didn't want to spend the extra $140.

I'll have some more pictures of how they look inside the rig in the next couple of days....along with a better shot of the finished bracket.

Writeup:
http://www.projectxj.com/mods/seats.htm

Pics:
IMG_6021.jpg

IMG_6023.jpg

IMG_6061.jpg

IMG_6064.jpg

IMG_6065.jpg

IMG_6059.jpg

rock rash said:
Are you able to fold it up to reach the back if needed?

If you check out the link that he posted with "more seat pics" it shows the seat folding forward for access to the back.

Here's a pic of the passenger seat installed in my rig:

IMG_6070.jpg

How tight is it in there? How wide are your seats, and how much room is there to spare? I am probably going to get a bit wider version and am nervous they wont fit!

HEY, where's that shoulder strap go to, if you say 'floor' thats a big no no...broken shoulders and collar bone setup for sure...

Incredible Hulk said:
How tight is it in there? How wide are your seats, and how much room is there to spare? I am probably going to get a bit wider version and am nervous they wont fit!

I'm going to try and get some more photos with a fisheye lense in the near future so everyone can get a good view of what they look like.

I centered the seats on the brackets and they both touch the center console. I think if you got the 1" wider version.....and that's only .5" wider on each side. The seat would just compress against the console. Or you could offset the seat slightly to one side. If you need/want the wider version....then I would probably go ahead and get it.

RichP said:
HEY, where's that shoulder strap go to, if you say 'floor' thats a big no no...broken shoulders and collar bone setup for sure...

That and spinal compression. Not condusive to walking after an accident.

HTH

why two different colored seats?

small pederson said:
why two different colored seats?

:lecture:

I think people may be getting the two different rigs confused here. I have two black seats that I'm installing in a 4 door with a cage (which is where MY belts are going).

RCP Phx has the gray seats (I can only assume that he has two of them :laugh3: ). He also has the belts that everyone is questioning.

fatwreck said:
:lecture:

I think people may be getting the two different rigs confused here. I have two black seats that I'm installing in a 4 door with a cage (which is where MY belts are going).

RCP Phx has the gray seats (I can only assume that he has two of them :laugh3: ). He also has the belts that everyone is questioning.

ohhh, i thought you were trend setting :laugh3:

ErikL said:
the shoulder belts should be installed no lower then 2" from the top of the shoulders.... damn NHRA tech inspector certification finnally came in handy

That's about where mine will be. I really doubt that I'll be using the shoulder harnesses very often though.

And for my 1 MPH rock crawling.....I don't know that it needs to be EXACTLY to spec with 200 MPH NHRA stuff. :) That's good information though. Thanks.

PstrKd4BrthCntrll said:
what did you use to secure the uppers straps to?
I will be running them straight back to the rear hoop crossbrace.

ErikL said:
the shoulder belts should be installed no lower then 2" from the top of the shoulders.... damn NHRA tech inspector certification finnally came in handy

but no higher than the shoulders either or you can get slack when dangling upside down.

Back