• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check engine light help..... Code 33

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
OK I have '96 AW4 4.0 XJ with about 72k miles on it. The check engine light came on about 30 minutes ago, and I just pulled the codes off of it.

The jeep gave me code 33, which I believe means the air conditioning clutch relay circuit open or shorted. However my AC and my defrost appear to be working fine.

Now that I know this, what should I do about it? What could have caused this? I was raining a fair amount earlier today and I was using the defroster.

I would like to get this taken care of ASAP so any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Well I just disconnected the battery and swapped the AC relay with the fuel pump relay.

The check engine light has not come back on (yet). I just took the XJ on a quick 5 minute spin around the block to see if it would come back on (and hasnt yet).

Now I figure the CE light didnt just come on to cure my boredom, and I know I didn't fix anything by disconnecting the battery.

Any suggestions on the next step I should take to get this problem fixed?

If you can, go to Autozone and have them read the OBDII codes. They are more definative as there may be more than one P code to go with your 33.

Back