• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange noise from front of engine

CJS

NAXJA Forum User
Sounds like a pulley is going, just changed the water pump but that wasn't it. Kinda sounds like it is coming from the mechanical fan but not really sure. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas. Also I noticed my serpentine belt is fairly loose, how do I tighten it?? This is for a 1990 XJ w/ 4.0.

The adjustment involves loosening four bolts retaining the power steering pump and adjusting a turn-screw under the pump to tighten. It may require unplugging the CCV or vacuum tubes here or there to obtain the room to do it. Refer to a Haynes, Chilton or FSM for the details.
I too have a faint mystery noise I attributed to the water pump and replaced it and the fan clutch to no avail. It only occurs after revving in neutral on the decel. It is only audible with the hood up. I'll dig a little later to see if I can find it.

This noise is loud (I can hear it in the vehicle with the music on. It sounds like it may be a fan clutch but I'm not real sure.

If this is the noise I'm thinking of its probably the idler pulley bearings or your belt.
HTH

Idler pully is shot, something like 14 buck from most part stores. Mine did that for awhile, changed the same stuff, and still had the noise, replaced it. Problem solved.

Idler pulley would be the pulley that isn't really attached to anything?? I know I know, newbie question. :)

You might want to check out your power steering pump. I've got a 98 XJ and just replaced mine after the little sound turned into an all out big sound.

All's well now, about $320 later!!!!

how did you change the water pump and not adjust the belt in the first place? just curious in how you took the pump off and put back on without loosening the power steering bolts and adjusting the screw adjustment.

Back