• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Steering

bigfour_0

NAXJA Forum User
I just want to know if anyone would know what to look for. It feels like I lose power steering when slowly moving like pulling into a parking space. Any help would be appreciated.

Smoked fluid, overheated pump, worn out pump.....

does it whine when turning? if so, you need some fluid.
If not, sounds like a fluid change is in order.

bigfour_0 said:
New pump, no smoke, no noise, bleed system . just hard to turn a low speeds.
hmmm. Strange.

the 86 does that sometimes, revving the engine seems to help.(Not much use at parking speeds though)

I'm at a loss man.

If you have the original pump, its probably getting worn. If you have replaced it with one from Napa, Autozone, or any of those parts stores, those pumps are terrible. Suck it up and get one from a dealer or from Quadratec.com, though they are more. First, try flushing the fluid. Here's what to do: Disconnect return line from back of pump, and let it flow into oil pan. Disconnect coil wire so engine won't start. Now, While cranking engine, turn wheel back and forth, but hit stops gently. Then refil pump with fresh fluid. Crank some more. Cycle this about 3-5 times to get all the old fluid out, then close system, and top off. Jack up front end and turn wheels back and forth about 10 times to bleed-with engine running. Drive it a few miles. Steering will be wierd. Park it, let it cool for a few hours, and its done!

just wanted to make sure its not somthing i did. Got pump from advanced auto, maybe like you said thats the problem. Fluid level is right where it need to be. As long as its okay like that until I can get a knew one.

Yeah, the pump is the problem. I don't know why, but I have had many different cheap chain store pumps in mine, and they all do just that, give out at low speeds. I wrestled with my wheel for 2 years before finding it out, and wore the leather off the top! They are probably worn out pumps from the junkyard modified to flow less so they won't squeel. Crap. I got one from quadratec for $150, and it works almost too well. The wheel is easy to turn no matter what. Take back the one you got and get a good one!

Yeah - if you replaced the pump and you can't turn without revving up the engine, the VE of the pump sucks and you got a shonky rebuild. Hydraulic pumps should pick up pressure as speed increases, but they should still give workable pressure at idle speed as well.

I've had great luck with A1Cardone rebuilds - if that doesn't work, then go with a new unit. It's that simple.

5-90

Back