• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pinion Angle

Mik

NAXJA Forum User
Ive just swapped out the D30 in favour of a Toyota 8" Hi pinion with factory locker. Ive had to flip this axle and now Im ready to nail it back together.
This also means I get to set correct pinion angle and caster and even mount my spring perches level.
As I havnt fitted my lift yet, I dont know the correct pinion angle to use.
Im using th RK 6 1/2 coils what will my pinion angle be (reletive to level)
Thank you

Mik

Totally depends on your driveshaft - double-cardan joint in the upper end means the pinion should point at the t-case output. Use that as a basis for your measurements.

Mik said:
Ive just swapped out the D30 in favour of a Toyota 8" Hi pinion with factory locker. Ive had to flip this axle and now Im ready to nail it back together.
This also means I get to set correct pinion angle and caster and even mount my spring perches level.
As I havnt fitted my lift yet, I dont know the correct pinion angle to use.
Im using th RK 6 1/2 coils what will my pinion angle be (reletive to level)
Thank you

Mik
nice swap! Toyota technology is going amazing places! you can now get D60 strength out of Toyota shafts/birfs and still have the clearance of a D30. What did you do to get the width more XJ friendly? i believe stock is 55"

Ive been thinking abbout going with a toy axles. I believe the tacoma in certain years had about a 59-60" wms to wms. I could be wrong. Its in one of the threads about toyota axles.

rock rash said:
Ive been thinking abbout going with a toy axles. I believe the tacoma in certain years had about a 59-60" wms to wms. I could be wrong. Its in one of the threads about toyota axles.
all tacomas are 60" as well as later 4 runners. they are most commonly available with the 8.4 diff (aka 8.25 or T100/Tacoma/Tundra diff, the actual ring gear size is 8" though) but are also available with a more common 8" diff with an electric locker.

they are great axles, better than D44 strength at D35 clearance. the biggest complication is bolt pattern considering most (all?) are 6 lug.

BrettM said:
What did you do to get the width more XJ friendly? i believe stock is 55"
Its been a while since I measured but IIRC the 8" Toy front gives me +2.5" over stock D30 mounting surfaces.
Im using stock alloys to keep cost and width down to around the same as a stock D30 with 3 3/4 BS steels.

There's some useful TLC tech here :-
http://www.off-road.com/tlc/faq/faq.txt

Is someone on a 6 1/2 lift who could measure their pinion angle for me please ?

Mik

Back