• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High flow, less filtered?

INI SLDR

NAXJA Member #1347
I have gone through a couple of air intake setups all of which center around using a k&n or similar cone filter. I had rusty's air tube and then took that off and mounted the cone filter inside the stock airbox to try and reduce the hot air and add fording ability. No matter how often I clean and oil the filter my throttle body is covered with a nasty black film on the inside and I want to keep this dirt out of my motor. I had heard that a dirty k&n filters better than a clean one but still, why let all that crap into the engine in the first place?

My question is this: Has anyone routed the air intake into the cabin through the firewall and into the cavity under the passanger wiper? The cavity is empty and the hvac gets its air from the drivers side. Maybe into the glove box or under neath somehow? I just rebuilt/stroked my motor and want to keep it clean. I'm going to tackle this next weekend and was looking for any suggestions or experiences. I'm sure its just a matter of a hole saw and a bunch of three inch plastic tubing... Let me know if anyone has tried this.

94 4 door

Why not get a k&n prefilter (like an open cell foam bandage) it wraps around the cone & adds filtering ability. Also change you oil regularly if you are worried about fine dust contamination. Not a bad idea though, to route air from the cabin. Don't know how to get around the firewall though,

My main goal in routing the air into the cabin is three fold:

1: cleaner air
2: to make room for a second battery with the diesel battery tray from the stealership
3: better than a snorkel

I would just cut through the firewall with a hole saw and be done with it but I was wondering how people have finished it off inside the cab. Looking for ideas BEFORE I rip out the glove box...

i saw this guy with an old heavly modified cj at the hill climbs drags last week who had his msd ignition, coil, oil filter and air intake inside the thing. i thnink hey had a big block with nitros.

het i saw a write up (pretty sure it was onthis board) recently about a guy that routed his snorket through the back of the motor compartment and into that vent area in front of the windshield, i will try to find the thread and post it here....
Maier

INI SLDR said:
I have gone through a couple of air intake setups all of which center around using a k&n or similar cone filter. I had rusty's air tube and then took that off and mounted the cone filter inside the stock airbox to try and reduce the hot air and add fording ability. No matter how often I clean and oil the filter my throttle body is covered with a nasty black film on the inside and I want to keep this dirt out of my motor. I had heard that a dirty k&n filters better than a clean one but still, why let all that crap into the engine in the first place?

My question is this: Has anyone routed the air intake into the cabin through the firewall and into the cavity under the passanger wiper? The cavity is empty and the hvac gets its air from the drivers side. Maybe into the glove box or under neath somehow? I just rebuilt/stroked my motor and want to keep it clean. I'm going to tackle this next weekend and was looking for any suggestions or experiences. I'm sure its just a matter of a hole saw and a bunch of three inch plastic tubing... Let me know if anyone has tried this.

94 4 door

That film isn't dirt, it's carbon deposits. Generaly it wont hurt a thing. Unless it's left to build up over long time. Then a good T/B cleaning will get rid of it. You'll notice rough running symtoms when it's time for cleaning. Also its best to remove the T/B for the cleaning too.

As far as the second question yes it's been done. Do a search, and you'll find some info on it.

alright hey i found it but your going to have to work for it... check out www.madxj.com he has a whole bunch of writeups on the site, you will have to scroll down to find his "custom deep watre intake" HTH...
Maier

Thanks for the info, I had been to the Madxj site before but somehow missed that one. Anyway I will let you guys know when its finished, already got the glove box out and getting some parts together...

Back