• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Excessive Key Off Current Draw

JeepMob

NAXJA Forum User
I searched through all the old threads I could find but did not find anything conclusive.

I have 2 XJ's....one is a 87 Wagoneer Limited and the other is an 89 Limited...both are 4.0/Auto/242. With a digital meter between the battery post and terminal, key off, I have 4.7 amps draw on my battery on both of them. I have pulled every fuse and module on the interior fuse panel with no variation. I have removed the underhood light already and checked the glove box light, dome lights, unplugged numerous connectors etc. with no luck. Please help!
Thank You

4.7 amps on both of them huh, weird. Should be about 1/10 of that. So your battery has been running down then at 4.7 amps if you leave it parked? Im guessing you know how to read your meter correctly? Try a different meter perhaps.

Yes, I am using a Fluke meter and I have it set on DC amps and hooked up inline with the positive terminal to establish the amperage draw while the vehicle is at rest. They are not identical reading in that one is 4.72 and the other is 4.58 but Close enough. If they are left parked with the battery connected, the battery is dead after a couple days. Since I discovered the problem, I have replaced both batteries and disconnect them when not in use so the new batteries don't get fawked up. There is no accessory lighting or stereos or anything like that. :wierd:

Sounds like youve checked everything I would have checked. Pulling fuses didnt isolate your problem. I'm stumped. Do both jeeps run and drive as they should?

Yes they both seem fine except for the battery draining. There is one thing I noticed last night with the 87 that seemed odd. If I sit in it with doors closed and key off, then tap the brake pedal, It makes a "ding" sound, sorta like a headlight reminder tone but just one ding. If I let off the pedal for a few seconds and press it again.....same thing, just one ding. Is that normal?

JeepMob, try pulling the 4 relays in the 'relay center', and re-check the current draw. Maybe a relay is sticking.

I have a constant 14mA draw on mine, that I've traced back to the ECM and TCM, which must be normal with the Renix system. Your 4.7A draw is excessive though, so something's definitely wrong......

The power latch relay is the second one from the firewall end; try pulling it. It's supposed to stay energized for a few seconds after shut-off, so it could be the one that's sticking.

I pulled all of the relays and there was no change. I have read in previous posts that it is normal to have about 10ma. Anyone have any suggestions on what to try next?

JeepMob said:
I pulled all of the relays and there was no change. I have read in previous posts that it is normal to have about 10ma. Anyone have any suggestions on what to try next?

If it's not relays or fuses, it's possible that it's battery cables or terminals (don't neglect paths to or from the PDC, either).

Do you have any non-stock electrical equipment on this one?

I went through the same thing, turned out to be a group of cable splices under the drivers side carpet. The carpet padding was moist, the splices were green and oxidzed, the dome lights and some other circuit were sharing juice in some strange ways. Would empty my battery in a couple of days.
The headlight circuit comes from a fusible link and has a built in circuit breaker (doesn´t go through the fuse box). My reostate coil (dashlight dimmer) broke and melted into some of the headlight switch wires. Maybe disconnect the fusible links, one at a time and see what happens. Also might want to disconnect the starter relay, I´ve seen a few that were full of rust and corrosion. Maybe disconnect the alternator, possible the insides are full of mud and are making a ground path. If you´ve had any coolant leaks lately, coolant conducts, some better than water, moisture or mud.

Last edited:
casm said:
If it's not relays or fuses, it's possible that it's battery cables or terminals (don't neglect paths to or from the PDC, either).

Do you have any non-stock electrical equipment on this one?

I just replaced the terminals when I put in the new battery and the cables showed no visible damage.

No aftermarket stereo, lighting or anything..

8Mud said:
I went through the same thing, turned out to be a group of cable splices under the drivers side carpet. The carpet padding was moist, the splices were green and oxidzed, the dome lights and some other circuit were sharing juice in some strange ways. Would empty my battery in a couple of days.
The headlight circuit comes from a fusible link and has a built in circuit breaker (doesn´t go through the fuse box). My reostate coil (dashlight dimmer) broke and melted into some of the headlight switch wires. Maybe disconnect the fusible links, one at a time and see what happens. Also might want to disconnect the starter relay, I´ve seen a few that were full of rust and corrosion. Maybe disconnect the alternator, possible the insides are full of mud and are making a ground path. If you´ve had any coolant leaks lately, coolant conducts, some better than water, moisture or mud.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try them out tomorrow. The 87 has a sunroof and definitely has wet carpet when it rains. The 89 has no sunroof but I believe it leaks a little from somewhere also.

I did try disconnecting the electrical plugs that lead to the alternator on the 87 but no cigar.

JeepMob said:
Thanks for the suggestions. I will try them out tomorrow. The 87 has a sunroof and definitely has wet carpet when it rains. The 89 has no sunroof but I believe it leaks a little from somewhere also.

I did try disconnecting the electrical plugs that lead to the alternator on the 87 but no cigar.

There is an isolation circuit in the alternator, haven´t seen it on newer Delco´s the CS models (with integrated circuits), but on the older ones, it was fairly common to have them leak juice to ground when the motor is stopped and the key off. You´d have to remove the large power cable to isolate the alternator. Pretty low on my list of probablilites, but in the troubleshooting guide. An alternator that has had a coolant bath, will definately pass current to ground, through the inner connections.
The carpet padding stays moist from wet shoes and such. Haven´t seen a Renix yet, that didn´t have some corrosion on the wires under the drivers side carpet. And also often, the cross over for the power seats, that also runs under the carpet and over the tunnel.
Did you pull the curcuit breakers from the fuse panel?
When ever you get a sub system isolated, that seems to be the culpret, things get easier. The bundle of splices sunder the carpet, drove me nuts, it was passing current (leaking into) three different loops and grounds. Some circuits were still showing current, when they were completely isolated. When checking for leaks through corrosion or moisture, you really need an ohm meter with 9 volts or more. Takes more than a volt and a half to push a measurable amount of current through moisture. A really senstive ohm meter will help, but the best solution I´ve found, is to test isolated circuits, with a 9 volt battery and a volt meter, voltage seeps and leaks show up better..

Last edited:
Back