• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pinion Nut torque on a Dana 35C-Clip

3XJFamily

NAXJA Forum User
Searched, read my Chiltons, just want to make sure. . .

To set preload on a Dana35C-Clip - Measure the torque necessary to rotate the pinion, then after replacing the pinion seal, torque it to 1/2 ftlb over that.

But on the older non-c-clip, it says just torque it down to 210 ftlbs.

I'm about to go out and get started - I've got a 1991 with a C-Clip and just want to make sure I get it torqued correctly. . .

c-clip style uses a crush sleeve... used bearing turning torque is 8-10 in-lbs

Technically, you should replace the crush sleeve any time that the pinion nut is removed, but many times one is successful in just tightening the nut back down to achive the same pre-measured torque.

OK, so I can't find a torque wrench that goes THAT low - (8 - 10 INCH Lbs)got a 1/4 in drive torque wrench and I can't even get it low enough to tell me the torque it takes to turn the pinion. . .

Can I probably get away with just snugging it back down, put a little resistance on the tire once the pinion starts to turn, and calling that good?

This is just a D35C with 200,000 miles on it. . .

If you torque it too much, you will crush the collar more and it will cause the pinion preload to be too high... bad news for those bearings. Snap-On sells the torque wrench you need, as well as Mat Co. Your not going to find something like that at Sears.

Back