• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

opinions please

icu_runnin

NAXJA Forum User
Well i just picked up a stock Dana 44 and receiver hitch from the yard today for $50. Yeah it was a blessing. The axle has been looked at and everything is in great shape. It does not need to be rebuilt or need beraings. Now i plan on keeping the stock 3.54's that came with it but i have 3.07's in the front since i have a 4.0 with a ax15. I plan on going back and getting a Hp dana 30 that has the ABS 297 axle shafts, no axle disconnect, and 3.54's. The reason i want the non disconnect axle is for the added strength of the 297's and i plan on putting a leaf setup in the front and did not want to bother with the axle disconnect being in the way. I will evenutally get 4.10's with 35's locked in the rear. I was just curious as to what opinions i would get from you guys on my setup.

You seem to be putting a lot of effort into 3.54s when you know you'll be going to 4.10s.

As to wanting a non-disconnect, I agree with respect to the 297 sjafts, but your other argument is negated by the fact that the YJ Wrangler was leaf spring in front and they ALL had axle disconnects.

i think this is a very reasonable method of regearing.. its what i did with my recent lift.. upgrade to a 29-spline 8.25 and a non-disco front with 3.55s, from the previous D35 and disco axle with 3.07s... total with a set of 297X shafts was around $200.... i see no wasted effort if you are upgrading the axles at the same time.. a "future game plan" is always a good plan.. congrats on scoring the D44 too... seldom do they come so cheap.

Well i think the guy will give me the front hp30 for around $30 or so and i would spend way more than that regearing both axles right now. Plus i am converting to leafs in the front so i want the non disconnect axle so i dont have to bother dealing with the perch and the disconnect. I figure for the $30 i could bolt in my d44 and have stronger 297 joints and do away with the axle disconnect for my leaf conversion up front. My neighbor has a 98 Tj sport with a lincoln locked d44 and a lp 30 and 35" bfg mt's and he gets through quite a bit. I would like to be able to at least follow him when we go wheelin instead of having to take the weak route.

i figured 4.56's would be to low. But i guess i do have a 5 speed. I will see after the leaf conversion and newer hp30 in the front. I have to get one project out of the way first. This way i can at least wheel it. The 31's with the 3.07's sucks. the 3.54's should help out a little.

Back