• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

207 to 231 swap

NAXJA Forum User
I pulled the 207 from my '86 MJ. It was mated to an AX-4 tranny.

I bolted up a 231 stupidly without checking anything other than the spline counts....so naturaly I've hit a snag.

It seems the 207 t-case input is longer and larger in diameter than the 231...and I'm leaking gear oil between the tranny and t-case which tells me the seal isn't 'sealed'. The 231 is out of an '89 YJ with the AX-5 (I believe).

I know the output seal was good because when we pulled the 207 the tailhousing was clean and dry and the fluid had been full in the tranny.

Well I think I answered my own question...but feel free to put in any more info (or correct me if I'm wrong).

I searched back and figured out the 231 I got is out of a jeep with the puke-goat tranny. SO the tranny output is long and the t-case input is short.

Since I have an AX-4 the tranny putput is short...which means I need a t-case with the long input.

So now I just have to hunt one down or find a busted one with a good input shaft.

Again if anyone has any other ideas let me know please.

043500 said:
Well I think I answered my own question...but feel free to put in any more info (or correct me if I'm wrong).

I searched back and figured out the 231 I got is out of a jeep with the puke-goat tranny. SO the tranny output is long and the t-case input is short.

Since I have an AX-4 the tranny putput is short...which means I need a t-case with the long input.

So now I just have to hunt one down or find a busted one with a good input shaft.

Again if anyone has any other ideas let me know please.

just dealt with this issue while swaping in a 231 into the XJ

my XJ has an ax-15 and the TJ donor had the aw4? or whatever auto tranny with a longer input that i needed...

i swaped the planataries and input bearing from the old case
more info here:
http://www.opiebennett.com/images/Jeep/D4-ford9-swap/Day%2015/np231.htm

i do know that the planataries and inputs are the same from the 241 and the 231 (the 241 hass 6 planatary gears - but that doesnt matter)

i dont know if the planataries form the 207 are the same...

Back