• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

F-150 disk e-brake questions

kr7o

NAXJA Member #1146
I spent a couple hours reading through various brake threads and surprisingly found nothing (before getting bored searching) on e-brake hookups on XJ's. I have a D-35 that the previous owner installed F-150 rear disks on (don't know what year), but he never finished hooking up the cables. Are there any "proven" cable lengths/sources or hookup articles out there? Will the YJ passenger side cables mate up to the f-150 calipers?

I'm sure I can get it rigged up after a bunch of tiral and error, but I need to get the e-brake working for a run next weekend so I don't have to resort to adding line-locks.

I think you need to find an F-150 and look at the setup first.
Find out how the cable attaches and that will give you a clue about what to do.

Played around with trying to get the e-brake working. I was able to get one cable working, but the other one was too short. Went to the local Ford dealer today and they weren't able to help without knowing the exact year I have. They didn't stock any cables so I couldn't compare with what I have.

I thought I had found a real nice solution using a Lokar universal e-brake cable, but the part that connects to the caliper is too short. I wonder if I can just grind off about 1/4" (enough to attach the backing nut), or just cut the OEM attachment point off and weld in a new mounting plate without damaging the calipers?

With all the F-150 axles going into jeeps I am surprised that nobody has a solution for this. Are there any other good "universal" e-brake cable kits out there worth looking at?

I have a 2001 F150 and the E-Brake works off the small drum on the back side of the brake rotor and is completely independant of the caliper. If yours is similar go to the hardware store and get some cable and cable crimps to hook it up.

Back