• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

For everyone with dual Diaphram booster in old xj

katarn444

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to find a new booster for my 89 xj. Can everyone that has done this mod tell me what donor part you used. My research says 95 and 96 xj's and zj's. I do not want to have to change the rod and I do not want to buy a part, ship it across the country and find out it does not fit.

Thanks
katarn

I used a 96 XJ -- bolted into my '91 (don't have that rig anymore). First tried a 97 ZJ, but the rod was different. HTH

I bought one off a 2000 TJ. Haven't put it in yet though. I know Dr. Dyno was going to use a TJ's, not sure if he's done his yet.

I replaced my xj 1990 abs bendix system with a booster out of a 96 xj. I needed to replac the brake pedal, booster, master cylinder and proportioning valve. I had to modify the booster rod by cutting off the one on the bendix and using it as a patern. The 1996 booster rod hole needed to be enlarged and the end ground flat to match the 1990 switch. The brake pedal is bolt in except that I needed to knock out the pressed in rod so the old switch could be used. On the 1996 the booster rod attaches to the pressed in rod. on my 1990 a bolt went through the pedal rod and switch. I guess you could also re-drill the old pedal. If I recal the holes are about 1 1/4 inches off between the pedals.

I don't know if i answered your question or not. And I do not know what items are different between the abs bendix and non abs.

flag2442

Flag brought up a good point, are you guys using abs or none abs boosters from the donors. I do not think it matters but I am not sure.

My xj does not have abs, did Flag have to replace the pedal because his had abs before. As of what I read to put the new booster into an older xj you have to open the hole up and grind a small flat spot like Flag mentioned

Thanks for the responses
Katarn

Yes, I purchased everything as a unit out of a non abs 96 xj including the pedal. If you can figure out how to wire the new brake light switch you may not need to modify the pedal. I did not want that hassle, not knowing if would be difficult or not.

If I were to do it again I might just buy a new brake booster and master. The plastic resivor on the booster appeared to have some cracks from being exposed to the weather and needed to be replaced anyway. I would think your proportioning valve would work so you would just have to grab the pedal unless you re drilled it. Then again I thought I read that a non abs pedal would work. I also had to bend a new left front line and cut and bent some others and I don't know if you will need to do that on a non abs.

Good luck

flag2442

95 - 95 XJ Non-ABS is a bolt in (with the angle spacer on the firewall). Then you need to enlarge the bolt hote and grind a flat on the back to match the 89. also need 10 and 12? MM adapters or make new lines to the MC (alternatly use the 95 lines & Prop valve) and use standard 3/16 line into the prop valve.

RockTracXJ said:
I bought one off a 2000 TJ. Haven't put it in yet though. I know Dr. Dyno was going to use a TJ's, not sure if he's done his yet.

Not yet. I have the '02 TJ brake booster/MC/proportioning valve as a complete unit together with the 8mm firewall spacer. The pedal rod is the same shape as the one in my non-ABS '92 XJ but the hole in the TJ unit is probably slightly smaller so I'll need to enlarge it.
Before I can do the installation, I need to buy the TJ front brake lines that join the proportioning valve because they come off at a different angle than the ones I have in my XJ.

Muddy_XJ said:
Did you have to buy the brake pedal also?

no -- literally a bolt in -- aside from bending up some new hard lines.

Back