• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Possible way to not use slipyoke?

Aggie05

NAXJA Forum User
Possible way to not use SYE?

An driveshaft shop near me has an extended slipyoke with a fitting for a cv and then take the stock shaft and put a cv on it. What do yall think? Being all this could be had for just a tiny bit more than the cost of the RE hack n' tap
Kyle

Last edited:
Driveshaft

Hey aggie

Shoot Gonzo a pm about this. I am running 6.5 inch of lift and I am not running an SYE and I have no vibes and no problems offroading.

Later
Wilson0309

Just cough up the money for the sye ya cheeeep bastid...LMAO.:laugh:

Don's right, give Gonz a jingle and see what he thinks..

Mike

just cause i got a job.... i still got tons of shizat to pay for... so im gonna still be a cheap bastid.... besides you wont sell me your shiznit. :D

I'm curious to know about this method, so keep us inform on how much the driveshaft will cost.

just cause you gotta job??........LMAO..........well, i lost my job and cant find it nowhere, and i still got shiznit to pay too:D AND...you know what i paid fer my shiznit so you dang right im not gonna sell it.

Mike

PS: Im going outta town friday for a week and a half for a little bit o work, so im gonna miss yall at the cruise in next week. But hey, its all good, ill be making a decent amount of scratch for my efforts.

Re: Possible way to not use SYE?

Aggie05 said:
An driveshaft shop near me has an extended slipyoke with a fitting for a cv and then take the stock shaft and put a cv on it. What do yall think? Being all this could be had for just a tiny bit more than the cost of the RE hack n' tap
Kyle

Are they talking about just putting the CV (I hope they mean double cardan, and not true CV) on the shaft and leaving the yoke as a slip yoke, or are the talking about fixing the yoke to the output shaft and adding a slip joint in the drive shaft? And what if anything did they say about shimming the rear axle to adjust the pinion angle after adding the CV?

And for this apparent abortion they want to charge you MORE[/i[] than the RE kit?

IMHO, this sounds like a shop I would tip-toe as far away from as I possibly could, very quickly.

Re: Re: Possible way to not use SYE?

Eagle said:
Are they talking about just putting the CV (I hope they mean double cardan, and not true CV) on the shaft and leaving the yoke as a slip yoke, or are the talking about fixing the yoke to the output shaft and adding a slip joint in the drive shaft? And what if anything did they say about shimming the rear axle to adjust the pinion angle after adding the CV?

And for this apparent abortion they want to charge you MORE[/i[] than the RE kit?

IMHO, this sounds like a shop I would tip-toe as far away from as I possibly could, very quickly.

The reason there was a little bit of detectable seriousness in my response earlier. Agg, i wouldnt trust all that nickle and dime stuff and get the SYE, weather it be HD or hack n tap. If its around the same price do it the way thats been proven better.

Re: Re: Possible way to not use SYE?

Eagle said:

I dont know all about it. read about it from a fellow Jeeper on the JNT forum and figured I would come to my great source of information NAXJA . Cause you guys seem to have all the answers. If I did that I was planning on shimming to fix the pinon angle. I have the 242 so being the hack n' tap is one of my few choices. Also I know if i put a SYE on you sit the driveshaft within 3 degrees of the pinion right? I want to put a SYE and a new shaft on but thats more bucks than I have and still have the money to get all the lift. Im piecing together a 4.5" lift to fit 31"s just cant piece a SYE together. What does a good quality double cardan shaft cost? :confused:

$200-250, from Tom Woods. $400/2=$200

Spend the money on the SYE, later save your dollars for lift parts. Lift parts are cheap, there is always someone selling their old junk, but rarely do they sell an SYE and DS. Most of my 6.5" lift is from used parts, and I paid an average of 50% less than new.

If you didn't have a 99', you could just get away with the ext. SY drop the T-case an inch, and either lift shackles or some shimming.

BTW
Do you have the 8.25 or D35 rear?

I have a 2000 with a double cardan on the slip yoke. I have shimmed my rear end up 4 degrees and still have bad vibes at 60 mph and above. It only ran me about 100 bucks for the driveline is the only reason I did it. I am know saving up to get a SYE. In the mean time I will shim the rear 6 degreees and see what happens. It can be done, but do it right and at least get a hack n tap. ......my 02

XJCHUCK72 said:

BTW
Do you have the 8.25 or D35 rear?

I have a 242 D35 combo but I am going to a 8.25/LS from a 97' with a 231. I know my driveshaft wont work for this combo but if I get a driveshaft from a 91' with 242 and 2.35 will that one work?
Only problem with piecing everything together is its will this fit with this and this work with this. :rolleyes:

Re: Driveshaft

wilson0309 said:
Hey aggie

Shoot Gonzo a pm about this. I am running 6.5 inch of lift and I am not running an SYE and I have no vibes and no problems offroading.

Later
Wilson0309

This leads me to a question, I'm at about 8.0" of lift right now running 35's, and I don't have a SYE either, I also don't have any vibes (go figure??) But my question is...if I don't have any vibes, is there any other reason why I should get a SYE? With my rig up on jacks, (rear at full droop) there is about 2" of slip yoke showing between the u-joint and the back of the t-case (where the slip yoke enters) Is that alot/too much? I've heard that with so much lift, I might run the risk of pulling the slip yoke out of the t-case at full droop, but if that is a concern, couldn't I just get a slightly longer driveshaft? I know this is alot of questions, but any help would be appreciated.

Cujo- What year is your XJ? I have heard about that before. I believe vibes occurs if it is 1995 or 1996 and newer. I am going to install 6.5" suspension lift kit on my 1990 XJ to find out. Hope I will not have to buy SYE. I would rather to save $ for lockers.

Tom Woods sells this type of setup!He just doesnt recommend it.
doublecardan.jpg

LJRXJ said:
Cujo- What year is your XJ? I have heard about that before. I believe vibes occurs if it is 1995 or 1996 and newer. I am going to install 6.5" suspension lift kit on my 1990 XJ to find out. Hope I will not have to buy SYE. I would rather to save $ for lockers.

Everyone who lifts there jeep 4.5" and up, should get an SYE. Vibes or not.

93' at 6.5" lift, I do not have the SYE yet, and I still have vibes and they are bearable. I do know that someday those vibes will catch up to me, or my SY engagement.

When I have a modified OEM leaf pack and then spring wrapped it, I actually twisted the splines of the ext. slip yoke that I had, I did not break the output shaft. I was lucky, especially if you saw the hill of granite I was trying to climb.

You can do it cheap, but one of the best mods you'll ever do will be the SYE. Get it done first, lifts are cheap.

Back