• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locker? Dana 35? Help!

Fink City

NAXJA Forum User
I want to add a locker to my XJ. It will be used 85% street but it will see off road. I don't have much money and I've heard that the 35 is weak. Anybody? Oh yeah I'm gonna run 30's or so, mud tire.

Lockright. Don't worry about all the people who say the 35 is junk. No, it isn't a 44, or 60, or 9inch, or Unimog portal. But if your just getting into it, it will work fine for now. I ran a Lockright w/ 32" TSL and 4.10 gears and put it through alot of abuse w/ little trouble.

I have a lockright in my "89 XJ with 31" tires. This is a good reliable combo for the D35. Any bigger tire and you are starting to push your luck.

On the street the lockright with a manual tranny was a nightmare, but then I switched to an automatic tranny and now its hardly noticable.

lunchbox will serve you well in a 35. Had mine (lock right) in for 4 years, 31 in MT's, not a single problem with it. Mines a manuel, you just gotta use minimal power in sharp turns or it bucks a little. Every once in a while it unloads, and sounds like you did major damage, but all is still good. ebay had a bundh. I found the easiest way to find them on ebay is to search "locker" and then select highest price, and scroll down into the $60 range. you'll find tons. Just make sure that it fits your application. Some side gear dimensions differ in the carriers.

i think that it will be fine but if you ever plan to go bigger you better take it out. I thought I was ok with the 33s and a trac lock until bang I got the shaft, broken that is, and it is a bad day not to have a spare on the trail. So I say go for it but IF you do go to a bigger tire then you better lose the locker or it will have its way with your 35. JOE>

i've run a lockrite in my dana 35 with 33's and mild wheelin for over a year, still going! but here comes the 8.8!:party:

With 30" tires and stock engine your Dana 35 will be just fine, even with a locker. Just don't try to solve off-road problems with your gas pedal when they should be solved with your brain!

aussie locker operates smoother than lock-rites.. thats what i got.. and love

i been runnin a no-slip in the back of my d-35(bolt in axles not c-clip) for 5 years and has been fine. keep the tires at 33" or under and be careful how long and hard you stand on the skinny pedal.

Back