• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear end noise?

SDxjsport

NAXJA Forum User
The rear end of my 98 cherokee clicks when braking lightly. I can tell it is somthing that is revolving because it clicks every revolution and the clicks slow when the vehicle slows. Any Ideas?

The wife was off visiting her sister (about 300 miles away), called and said the rear was clicking. Told her to take it to the Jeep place and have a look. She ignored me, cost a drum, a set of brakes, most of the springs, ABS sensor and an axle. Could be harmless, but then again.

You have to determine if this is a brake issue or rear end issue, remove the rear drums and inspect for broken springs or clips, worn shoes, grooves in the drum, if that is determinded it could be the positraction clutches in the rear end differential, the remedy for the "clacking" of the rear end is to drain the fluid and refill with rear end fluid from the GM dealer and the must additive is the rear end additive conditioner that the GM dealer only sells, all other brands do not work, let us know what you find.

Back