• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tcase question

xj95

NAXJA Forum User
Hi

Took a look of the ujoint of the rear dshaft everything is ok but I notice some loose on the the shaft coming out of the tcase about 1/16 to 3/32 of movement when I push on it up and down is it normal for a 180k xj.

thank

Zzzz

If the rear TC bushing gets too loose, most often the seal will wear and start seeping. If you replace the seal and it starts seeping agian a couple of months down the line it´s probably a worn bushing. A driveshaft vib, form worn U-joints, can accelarate bushing and seal wear.
If you have no rear driveline vibes or leaks, I wouldn´t worry about it too much, I´d be thankfull.
I carefully slipped a feeler gauge in past the seal and pushed my yoke to the side and if I remember correctly, it was about 0.005. Only place on my drivetrain (besides the rear outer axle seals) that´s not seeping something. Mine seemed a little loose also, but hold oils and doesn´t vibrate.

HY

This past fall I install a 3" lift since then I have been experiencing with vibration. I still have the original ujoint 180k but they dont show any loose.My spring pack came with a shime to correct the angle.the dshaft is in line with the pignion yoke of the differential. I know that some says that you don't need a shime with a 3"lift.

thanks
Zzzz

Back