• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaks, I have em , do you?

drifting_home

NAXJA Forum User
I was just wondering about this, I have a 96 xj 4.0, and it seems to leak a little oil around the filter, I also had a 94 grand cherokee and it did the same thing in the same place. its not a lot, just a little, also a little tranny fluid leaks up toward the front from a line, the 92 xj my dad used to have also leaked tranny fluid there as well,

these sound familiar to anyone, let me know

drifting_home said:
I was just wondering about this, I have a 96 xj 4.0, and it seems to leak a little oil around the filter, I also had a 94 grand cherokee and it did the same thing in the same place. its not a lot, just a little, also a little tranny fluid leaks up toward the front from a line, the 92 xj my dad used to have also leaked tranny fluid there as well,

these sound familiar to anyone, let me know

Yes. All sound familiar.

If you want to fix them, most likely the oil filter leak is the O-rings on the adapter that mate the filter to the block. You can get 'em for cheap at the dealership (just ask for oil filter adapter o-rings, there's three of 'em). The other is probably the transmission cooler lines that run from the tranny up to the cooler. The fittings on those leak sometimes, you can get replacement o-rings for those as well.

But hey man, it's a Jeep... it's just marking it's territory.

I had tranny fluid leaking from a line up front, but I had a hose clamp type fitting that was the culprit. Tightened the clamp and it quit leaking!

NotMatt said:
If you want to fix them, most likely the oil filter leak is the O-rings on the adapter that mate the filter to the block. You can get 'em for cheap at the dealership (just ask for oil filter adapter o-rings, there's three of 'em). The other is probably the transmission cooler lines that run from the tranny up to the cooler. The fittings on those leak sometimes, you can get replacement o-rings for those as well.

But hey man, it's a Jeep... it's just marking it's territory.

Like he said, Jeeps just like to mark their spot. :laugh3:

Fred

Mine leaks profusely from the rear main seal and the transfer case... I just make sure I keep an eye on the levels... the t-case just seeps out from the slip yoke area, have to add a half a quart or so every 6 months, the rear main pukes out about a quart per 500 miles... I should fix that one of these days (too bad I spaced it when I had the front axle out).

Back