• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird Electrical Issue - Radio Stays On

ColoradoXJ13

NAXJA Forum User
Hey All,
I had a Sony Xplod CD player face installed in my XJ about 3 years ago "professionally" at Car Toys in Boulder, CO. It had worked fine (although skips on CDs more than I would like) until yesterday....now, when I turn the jeep off and pull out the key, the radio stays on, only way to get it to turn off and not kill my battery is to remove the face.

Any suggestions on how to fix this, I don't want to have to remove/replace the face every time I get out/in the jeep...

Thanks In Advance

If you know what wires do what on the back of the stereo pop that sucker out and check em all. make sure they "professionally" installed it with crimp caps or butt connectors and not the old "twist and tape" method. How old is the XJ? Do you turn the key in the ignition alot? Some times (usually in fords) the plastic/metal part on the outside of the ignition switch either breaks or comes loose and spins freely without starting the vehicle and sometimes needs to be turned counter clockwise further than normal to cut the accessory power to the vehicle. Other than that sony is poo. Unless its a TV or PS2. Good luck!

Matt

The XJ is a 2001, picked it up in July 2001, stereo was installed winter 2001. I only turn the key in the ignition when I start/turn off the jeep, no more than normal, maybe 2-3 times a day on average. I'll try the twist further than normal but everything else seems ok....one other strange thing is that the window lock button seems to intermittently work....i.e. when it is off, sometimes other people cannot use their window controls...this stops/starts at randome times...

Thaadius said:
If you know what wires do what on the back of the stereo pop that sucker out and check em all. make sure they "professionally" installed it with crimp caps or butt connectors and not the old "twist and tape" method. How old is the XJ? Do you turn the key in the ignition alot? Some times (usually in fords) the plastic/metal part on the outside of the ignition switch either breaks or comes loose and spins freely without starting the vehicle and sometimes needs to be turned counter clockwise further than normal to cut the accessory power to the vehicle. Other than that sony is poo. Unless its a TV or PS2. Good luck!

Matt

ive noticed on my 2000 XJ that when the window is cracked or down and its raining alot of water gets in and ends up on the lock/window switches. i know for a fact that those switch panels are about $260 (new from dealer) to replace em. lets hope the switches are ok.

Matt (Former Best Buy Car Audio Installer)

Back