• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cig lighter change...

Stonycar

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

Mi cigarette lighter always blows the fuse everytime i put the element in. I just dont know why. so I was wondering if I could just just plug the wires on the power outlet and have another one instead of the cig lighter ??? I dont know if its clear enough but thats the best I can explain it. Thx !!!

Are you using the original element?

Do you have the correct value of fuse?

Has anything else been connected to that circuit? Stereo, amp, etc...

Is there anything IN the cigarette lighter that may cause a short? Like a penny or other coinage?

its a 25amp fuse like the service manual says

theres nothing else connected to it

Maybe I didnt see it Im pretty sure theres nothing in the cig l;ighter...

Probably a short but where, dopnt wanna look through all that wires...

Thx

does it blow as soon as you put it in or only when you
push it all the way in to try to use the lighter? In any case I think
I'd try a different lighter just to rule out simple things..

BTW: whats a power outlet? I'm picturing a second cig lighter socket.
Is that standard on some xj's? And on a seperate fuse too??

Replace the lighter, the element is bad..it either unscrews from the handle and you replace with a new one or buy the whole lighter and handle at most any parts store..

My cig lighter got jammed in because it was full of tar stuff (ex owner smoked a lot) and suddenly caught on fire on the freeway about a month after I bought my jeep in 2001. Fortuneately I carry a fire extinguisher but didd'nt have to use it since it sort of self extinguished when the fuse blew. My bezel ended up w/ a charcoal type substance until someone broke into my jeep about a year later and straight up ripped the bezel out to take the stereo.

Anway, the whole ligher mechanism kind of slips out of the bezel where you can clean it, check wiring and the center part can be replaced.

I completely eliminated the lighter, using its hole for my auxilary offroad headlights switch.

Stonycar said:
Probably a short but where, dopnt wanna look through all that wires...

Thx

Just quit smoking and you won't need to use it.:lecture:

HTH.

Haleyes said:
Just quit smoking and you won't need to use it.:lecture:

HTH.
Ahhhhh....but how do you charge your cellphone/power the laptop/power the GPS then?? :wave:

Yucca-Man said:
Ahhhhh....but how do you charge your cellphone/power the laptop/power the GPS then?? :wave:

I run a power adapter from it that splices it into three that is attached to the passenger side of the console. Going to wire one or two for the back as well for ease of use.

Yucca-Man said:

OK ya got me there....at least you can have all the neat gizmos and still light your cancer stick all at the same time! :laugh3: Better run a redtop!:guitar:

No cancer sticks for me either, but I do make use of the electrons flowing through there.

Back