• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

POP!!! (Not the trackbar)

jeepinxj05

NAXJA Forum User
at left lock or around there, there's a loud pop and i can't track it down, well... i've got it down to the steering box and shaft and whatever is there behind the dash... I heard from a friend that something comes loose on the u-joint in the steering shaft when you have 31s or above... I have 33s. BTW, this is a '91 XJ, 5 or so inches of lift, and 33 inch tires. So, anyone got an idea?? Please post up. If you want pics, let me know and I'll take some then highlight the areas i am thinkin in photoshop

Ive got the same pop in my steering. Its not as loud as yours but it continuously pops.i think its coming from the steering box i cant figure out what it is...im only running 30s too.

edit

yeah I proceeded to explain the track bar/mount as a possible problem and then realized you ruled that out.

I know you say not the track bar, I didnt think mine was either at first, but I had the same symptoms. I have a track bar relocator that came with my procomp lift (3"). The extra bolt to mount it (the one you have to drill for) has worked loose, and no matter how tight I get it, it still pops under hard left turns/right turns. It will seem totally tight under inspectiona (torqued to about 125 ft-lbs!!!), but if you get on slippery pavment (like in a shop), have sombody turn it on and really reef on the sterring (left right quick big turns) while you lay underneath the front. This is how I discovered mine. I re-drilled and went with a bigger bolt, but that only lasted 3 months. I am going to an adjustable track bar to get rid of it. I thought it was my steering box or a tie rod end. Good luck. My $0.02.

A friend of mine has the same clunk which occurs short before full steering lock to the left and to the right. We did not find out where it comes from. He drives an YJ without track bars so we can forget about track bars or control arms as a possible issue.

Is it possible that a worn out steering box produces those clunking sounds?

Back