• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front exhaust pipe question

yardape

NAXJA Member #272
I have a '94 with 140K that needs a new catalytic converter so I've decided I might as well do the whole system from the front pipe on back at once. The part that no one wants to sell me and Walker exhaust apparently doesn't even make is the front exhaust pipe that runs between the manifold and the cat. Does anyone no why this is? There is a sensor of some type connected to it as well. The only place I found one was as a special order at the dealership for a whopping $242. Yikes!!!! TIA

I just ordered mine for my 94 at work (Autozone). $66 bucks. I believe it was an Arvin pipe. Its the only place Ive even seen them available. Wish I had the part number handy.... But if there is an Autozone near you they should be able to help you out.

Justin

I also just ordered the front pipe from autozone P/N:349827. Did you guys replace the cat back , what brand muffler did you use?

gcinque
1994 Cherokee Country 202k

I need a new cat so am just redoing the whole thing,.... Ripping out a Rustys catback muffler,... either a dynomax or Flowmaster as I am tired of having to shout over the noise even though I still like the rumble. Its replacement will be a Walker Quiet Flow from NAPA. Can the O2 sensor be problematic removing it from the pipe?

What you're talking about is the down pipe (at least that's what most people call it), the sensor you see on it is your oxygen sensor.

First question - is there any particular reason you want to replace it, or is it a "while I'm down there" kind of job?

I would approach it a little differently than the others said. I would take the old one off, hitch a ride to a good muffler place, and have them fabricate you a new one (possibly using some of the old parts, such as the O2 sensor bung and the pipe to converter flange). When you do this ask them to bend it differently than stock.

You will notice a flat spot in the pipe, this is a clearance ding for the drive shaft. I plan to have one made that tucks in about 2" closer to the engine (more severe bend at the manifold flange) in order to clear the drive shaft.

Sequoia

Note: Of course this only applies to 4WD XJ's. Also for people who wheel as you don't really have the problem unless you stuff the LH front tire good.

Thankyou Sequoia for the thoughtful response. You are correct,... it is a "while I'm down there kind of thing." I did have one friend tell me that the down pipe was much sturdier than the others and generally does not need replacement as bad as it may look. Maybe you could illuminate me on this. TIA

Im doing the "while im down there" work as well. In my case, Im replacing the manifold. Im also replacing the CAT...and my flowmaster is getting swapped for a different one. Its much nicer to assemble exhaust when the ends arent all rusted and crimped up. Tail pipe expanders work 'ok'...but with the front pipe, the flange bolts are also all rusted and nasty looking. I dont even plan to mess with them...just hack the old pipe off and yank it out with the manifold. Sooo...$67 bucks isnt too bad for new stuff. If it lasts me another 10 years its well worth it. Plus it carries a lifetime warrenty :) I do agree though...the exhaust pipes dont usually go bad. Heck my tail pipe was in good shape...but new one was only $16 bucks...

Autozone actually stocks a CAT that is listed as a higher flowing cat...Im going to give that one a try as it is only $42 in stock. If it doesnt do its job Ill get a better replacment. The flowmaster Im using is a 40 Series delta flow. 942442. Good luck with which ever path you choose.

Justin

yardape said:
Thankyou Sequoia for the thoughtful response. You are correct,... it is a "while I'm down there kind of thing." I did have one friend tell me that the down pipe was much sturdier than the others and generally does not need replacement as bad as it may look. Maybe you could illuminate me on this. TIA

That pipe is stout, much heavier than I thought it would be (I just picked one up from the bone yard to use as a template), this is why it lasts.

I would only replace it for one of two reasons:

1. Rusted badly (not just surface rust)
2. You crushed it with rocks or the drive shaft (My drive shaft bit mine :))

Otherwise I say leave it be, maybe revisit it in the future if you ever get a header.

Sequoia

I have a '94 with 140K that needs a new catalytic converter so I've decided I might as well do the whole system from the front pipe on back at once. The part that no one wants to sell me and Walker exhaust apparently doesn't even make is the front exhaust pipe that runs between the manifold and the cat. Does anyone no why this is? There is a sensor of some type connected to it as well. The only place I found one was as a special order at the dealership for a whopping $242. Yikes!!!! TIA

I replaced mine (95 xj) because it was dented in bad b/c someone diddn''t know how to use a transmission jack. It was avaliable at the stealership (try another dealership) for around $45 special order but if theres an aftermarket piece I'd take it b/c the replacement is crap and I have to use a walker strap clamp or its loose. Oh maybe it helped I worked at a jeep dealership but I really don't think the thing was much more than 50-60. Have you tried Tellico4x4.com they have tons of jeep stuff including tons of OEM stuff.

I've decided to take the path of least resistance and not replace the down pipe. Fortunatley the cat intake is on the outside of this pipe so even if it is fused I can cut it with an angle grinder and peel it off leaving the down pipe intact. Honestly I never saw a difference in power with a high flow muffler and its not worth the added noise when you are trying to communicate with others in the vehicle. Seems to me that exhaust is only going to go thru the system as quickly as the smallest constriction will allow. As long as the stock manifold is on there what is the point in getting a hi flow anything unless you just like to listen to the rumble? Its cool at first but the novelty wore off for me since there were no other apparent benefits. Thankyou everyone for all your input.

Back