• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strengthening Leaf Pack

DaveD912

NAXJA Forum User
I'd like to add some strength to my stock leaf packs so they don't sag so much under a load. I know (from searching) that people use Dakota leaves to lift the XJ, but could I replace an XJ leaf with a Dakota leaf of similar length to net a stronger pack? Sort of a full length AAL - but used to stiffen the pack, not lift it.

Level under load would be fine. I've been reading all the sagging threads and I want to prevent this on my '01 XJ. I see S10s and Dakotas being used but what is the general rule - any SUA truck with a 2.5" width?

Any 2.5" wide spring, SOA, SUA, whatever.

Thinner leaves work better.

DaveD912 said:
What makes the s10 leaves so popular? Are they just easy to obtain?
they're easy to get and have amazing droop for a junk yard find. the downside (as I'm working through) is the tweaking it takes to get your ride quality right.

Thanks for the advice all, but I'm finding junkyard packs to be more expensive than full length AALs (like RE's). Seems there are no more "U-Pull-Its" left in NJ - insurance reasons. Would it make sense to add an RE 1410 full length leaf and pull out one of the smaller XJ leaves?

Since you don't need the entire pack, or, you can use the entire pack by cutting off the eyes of the springs and reusing the XJ main leaf, you can sometimes get broken springs a lot cheaper from the salvage yards. They end up with a lot of broken leaf springs missing an eye or two from dragging them around with a loader or whatnot.

The trick is finding a matching set!

I would also nose around at local 4x4 shops - sometimes they will give you stock springs cheap to free.

Has anyone ever thought about putting a ladder bar in the rear? Most likely the spring is wraping into an S and is lowering the truck in the rear. Adding more leafs will make the truck ride like crap. And adding a ladder bar will control the wrap of the springs and will give you the same ride.

The s-10 leaf springs are not designed for SOA. They are developed for SUA. The cherokee leaf springs already have an offset pin in the leaf that is tward the front of the truck. The offset pin is designed to control axle wrap to a certain extent. And is designed for the xj. There are many variables with leaf springs and you cant just throw a leaf or two in or slap in a set of dakotas.

Pete

Back