• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Attaching PMW Rear Upper Quarter Guards???

96XJCLASSIC

NAXJA Forum User
What did anyone use to attach there Performance Metal Works rear upper quarter guards?? I am thinking about using pop rivets. Any advice on what to use or how to do it? Any Tips??

I used sheet metal screws for mine. Not everyone likes how they look....but I like it.

A lot of people have used rivets. You'll be fine either way.

IMG_4913.JPG

I countersunk flat head stainless steel bolts and used washers and keps nuts on the inside. I used 10-32 hardware. I also used urethane as a sealant between the guard and the body. I'm not sure I would use that again as it was a royal mess. Reaching the nuts was a pain too, but the end result is a pretty nice setup. Oh, I installed mine on a '98 and did some alterations to the panels. First, I added a little metal at the top of the tailights where the '96- bodys had hatch. Then I added a strip along the lower edge to cover my cut lower rear body area. I welded, ground, and sanded the seams and you can't even tell it was done. Jeff

fatwreck said:
I used sheet metal screws for mine. Not everyone likes how they look....but I like it.

A lot of people have used rivets. You'll be fine either way.

Thanks fatwreck, I have been checking out your site and looking at the guards and how you did it.

I also got a set of Formatt's tube doors to install also!!!

i worry about water getting traped in there and rusting from the inside out - so i would run a bead of caulk or RTV or some silicone around the edge...

once the $$$ for non-driveline parts comes... ill make my rig look nice again...

XJ_ranger said:
i worry about water getting traped in there and rusting from the inside out - so i would run a bead of caulk or RTV or some silicone around the edge...

I thought about that too when I first installed my door guards. I did that with the small one on the front fender and then I decided that if I didn't get it perfect....then the silicone would definitely trap the water in there. So, I just installed them without the silicone and called it good.

Although, there isn't a whole lot of rust in Colorado.....so I'm not that worried about it.

I know it's a different product, but when I installed my RLF Gila Monster rear quarter guards I siliconed around the sides and top, but left the bottom "open". The theory is that the silicone around the top and sides would help prevent water from getting behind the panels, but having the bottom open would allow moisture to "drain" out if it did get back there. Not that I really worry much about rust here in TX either... ;)

When I put on my PWM door panels, I ran a bead all the way around them though, and i installed them with aluminum poprivits.

Jeepin Jason said:
I ran a bead all the way around them though, and i installed them with aluminum poprivits.
No worries about galvanic corrosion?

fwiw, when i installed my aluminum diamond plate cladding, brian from XJNATION recommended *not* using silicon or any sealant...

also i didn't use his hw, but instead counter-sunk some flathead metal screws.

Back