• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

35's, stock axles on 01, bad idea?

Keep your foot off the gas, and don't bounce/hop. What rear axle do you have as well? If it's a dana 35, NOT a good idea whatsoever.

JEEPSPEEDRCR said:
I have an 01 xj with the full-traction 6in long arm w/ 35" MTRs bad idea for off-road?
-gatlan

yes

If you have an auto and 8.25 and are easy on it then go for it. You will probably break shafts, so carry spares.

I wouldn't reccomend it but you can avoid damage by going easy on it. I would at least beef it up by upgrading the shafts with a Superior or Yukon Super 30 kit for the front. I'm sure there is something like this for the rear 8.25 but I didn't find it.

some dutchman shafts for the rear. i heard those are bulletproof.

if you have open diffs you will be fine, if your locked you might be ok depending on where you wheel. carry spares up front and get some dutchmans if you want to lock it up and yo ushould be fine. seeing as you said will it be ok and you already have it, i am guessing your getting sick of the mall and actually want to wheel. i run 33s locked f/r with 8.25(29spln) with hp30 up front. i wheel it fairly hard and have not had any breakage, just spit one u joint cap and thrashed it but some tacking and that will fix that from happening. i plan to do the 35s and get the ft la kit too. i am gonna get dutchmans for the rear and just carry my spares and i think i will be fine and when money comes along i will polish the turdy a bit. i ride with a guy who bashed the crap out of his 30 lcoked on 35s(he scares me when he drives) and he hasnt had any problems. so to wrap up this long ass post, you will be ok if you take the proper precautions

i dono - with 35's on an 8.25 you can only get 4.56 gears...

that sux for crawling... and when you cant crawl - feet get heavier...

and then with a d35 - you can go to 4.88, but why?

save the bling up and get yourself some axles that can be geared aproptiately and save your tranny from redicusly overheating...

JEEPSPEEDRCR said:
I have an 01 xj with the full-traction 6in long arm w/ 35" MTRs bad idea for off-road?
-gatlan

As long as you are prepared for (and accept) the strong possibility of breaking an axle, go for it.

Kent :)

4.56s although not optimal for 35s will work ok, but that is definetly the limit of it

theschwarz1 said:
What can you print with that? Is it a laser jet ? J/K :laugh3:
hi i'm humor have we met?

Ramsey said:
hi i'm humor have we met?

you do not deserve to use BGcntry's line...

As long as you prefer the finesse style of driving to the full-throttle type, you should be fine. We run 35's on "stock" D30/D44 axles with lockers on both rigs and it's just fine. Granted, the D30 in our XJ has Warn alloys and hubs, but our TJ is running all stock shafts with no axle breakage to date (knock on wood trim), and my wife's not exactly the most light-footed driver at times. ;)

4.56's are fine for 35's. 4.88's would be better though, but with the 8.25" they're not an option.

XJ_ranger said:
you do not deserve to use BGcntry's line...
fawk you, i didnt know it was his

jardine said:
4.56's are just fine for 35's go for it
gearing isnt the only concern

thanks for the advice, i will be prerunning more than crawling, same advice? because i know that prerunning will prob break them easier because of the whoops and jumping.
-gatlan

Back