• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering column swap: manual to auto?

hoddie

NAXJA Forum User
My auto column is very loose and needs to be tightened. I found all the threads on here about it and it looks hard enough.
BUT....I found another column at the wreckers for $40.
My question is, this one is a manual one and I am replacing an auto model, is there anything I need to do to it? Will the electrical connect up without any issues? Any other cables or attachments I should look for?
Thanks,
Hoddie.

What year XJ?

If it'a an older one with the GM/Saginaw steering column, the manual tranny version will have a small lever on the right side, below the hazard warning switch, for releasing the key and locking the column when the key is removed. On the automatics that's handled by the neutral safety switch.

I have not compared the two to know if you can bypass the column switch and use the linkage from the NSS (or the opposite -- dump the link from the NSS and just use the built-in lock on the column).

Back