• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interior lights activated by opening rear hatch cover . . .

Don Becker

NAXJA Forum User
A few weeks back I noticed that when I open the rear hatch the interior lights don't come on. They both go on when any other door is opened. I've never had this problem and so, of course, I looked for the type of switch that's found at the door hinge pillars to activate the lights from the doors. I don't fine one for the rear hatch. I suppose there must be a mercury switch or something behind the rear hatch trim panel. Before I go looking further, maybe someone can help me know where to look and what to look for. 1988 XJ Limited. Thanks! Don

There is either a button on the rear dome light or push the actual rear dome light, this turns it on or off while the rear hatch is open. nice feature when you want to keep the liftgate open but not drain your juice.
blackash

blackash, I've tested the switch, that is located as an integral part of the rear interior roof light, and it is not defective.

Let me try again to explain. As you note, ordinarily, when I open the rear hatch (assume all other doors are closed), both the front and the rear interior roof lights go on and, as you point-out, if you're leaving the hatch open and don't want or need to burn the interior lights, you can "poke" the switch and turn-off the interior lights.

As it is malfunctioning right now; when I open the rear hatch (again, assume all other doors are closed), the interior lights do not go on and "poking the switch" makes no difference.

After posting the original question, I remembered that I have removed the rear hatch trim panel from my other 88 XJ Limited. So, I went out and took a took . . . I still am not finding a switch that throws voltage to the interior lights when the rear deck is opened.

Thanks! Don

By gosh! Explorer, you've got it! Now I remember having seen that long ago when I replaced a rear latch. Thanks! Don

Check the wiring at the latch. If it's fine, then trace it back. Mine wasn't working as well ['90 pioneer] and traced it back to the corner of the hatch where there's another connector. Seems that it corroded out there so the wire wasn't totally cut, so I just took out the plastic connector, hardwired them together, and all was good. Might not be the same problem, but worth checking out and easy check while you're working on it.

Thanks, cykaaro. 'Another great tip . . . I'll probably get back to this some evening this week. I have a good idea where the problem might be now. Don

I had the same problem on my 95. On mine, there was a bad connection on the switch/latch itself. The wires and connectors were ok. Must have been some corroded contacts.

Yes, I know that's true. My wife's 91XJ, for example, doesn't even have a rear light . . . . 'bit of an inconvenience at times . . . . Don

I may look into getting the parts off another XJ and adding it to mine now...It would be very handy to go with the second dome light I already added to the rear end.

That switch is definitely in the latch, and is a common failure owing to rust and corrosion. If you open it up, you'll see the switch, and with luck you can clean it up and it will work again.

I also had a failure in the light itself. The switch in the rear light selects whether or not it comes on with the hatch, and that switch is not very well designed. If fixing the latch switch doesn't do the job, you might look at that one. I yanked the button switch out of my dome light, and replaced it with a little rocker switch.

I repaired it a couple of hours ago. There are two connectors to the switch attached to the latch. One was nearly off and both connections just needed a little cleaning. Works fine now. Thanks again to all! Don

Don Becker said:
I repaired it a couple of hours ago. There are two connectors to the switch attached to the latch. One was nearly off and both connections just needed a little cleaning. Works fine now. Thanks again to all! Don

Glad you got it going and was an easy fix!

Back