• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changing Water Pump

CJS

NAXJA Forum User
I'm changing the water pump on my 1990 XJ (4.0) and it appears that the power steering bracket is used as the belt tensioner. I was just wondering which bolts to loosen so I can take the belt off. If anybody has advice on anything else or good instructions I'd take those too.

TIA
CJS

The PS pump pivots about the top bolt where it mounts to it's bracket. There are two bolts that lock it to it's mounting bracket. They are located on the back side of the pump. There are also three other bolts that must be loosened: the pivot bolt at the top, the bolt that acts as the anchor for the jackscrew that tensions the pump, and the jackscrew proper.

If you take out the airbox for the airfilter, it makes access to the jackscrew much easier.

Fore Wheeler suggests: "just stick a screwdriver between the belt and the pully and have someone bump the motor. It'll come off."

This is a joke, right? I hope so, 'cuz that's a REAL GOOD WAY to break cords in the serpentine belt, or worse yet, CRACK the phenolic pulleys used in some accessories.

Aside from being a BAD IDEA, it does nothing to helping get the belt back on and retensioned, which is what will be needed once the new water pump is installed.

AZ Jeff said:
Fore Wheeler suggests: "just stick a screwdriver between the belt and the pully and have someone bump the motor. It'll come off."

This is a joke, right? I hope so, 'cuz that's a REAL GOOD WAY to break cords in the serpentine belt, or worse yet, CRACK the phenolic pulleys used in some accessories.

Aside from being a BAD IDEA, it does nothing to helping get the belt back on and retensioned, which is what will be needed once the new water pump is installed.

Yes it's a joke, CJS knows me and my dry sense of humor. :D

I have had to do this on the trail before, but there's alot of 'bad ideas' that you do on the trail to get home.

I hate having to explain my jokes when no one laughs :D

OK, sorry for being too serious. WIthout knowing guys personally, or via forums for a while, you can never tell.

I remember reading on a certain Jeep forum where one owner wanted to know why his transmission dropped down when he removed his rear crossmember.

With mechanical skill like that being shown, one always tends to assume that some of the worst ideas thrown out are actually seriously considered.

Besides, we all know that to remove the belt, its faster to just throw an old shirt into the fan when it's running.

Dan wasn't joking, he's just a little slow. :) I suppose I should just stick my hand between the belt and the pulley and have someone start it up?? (that's a joke too) I wonder how you would change a water pump on a Mustang?? :D

Back