• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I fixed my Jeep for 57 cents

Atl XJ

NAXJA Forum User
My speed sensor was leaking and rather than replacing an expensive part that functioned fine I pulled mine out and replaced the O ring on it that was leaking. You can't just purchase the O Ring on it, you have to purchase the whole part, which is really unnecessary if you ask me. So I went to Autozone and Napa and neither one of them carried an O ring big enough. Well the guy at Autozone suggested that I go to Home Depot or Lowes and check out their plumbing department. I went to the local Home Depot and found one of the appropriate size and purchased it. I went home and installed it and it worked perfectly. I cleaned up the area around it where it was leaking so I could tell if it was still leaking. I've only driven it 100 miles but it appears that it worked, its dry as a bone around the sensor and before it was really wet there from the seepage. So time will tell but I think i fixed it. If I fixed it for 57 cents thats awesome. :D :D :D

You CAN buy just the o-ring from the dealer. But I paid $4.

57 cents sounds a lot better, though.

Really, thats good to know in case it starts to leak. I didn't try the dealer, just Napa and Autozone.

the OE ones may be neopreme or something instead of rubber and last a lot longer

wilcharl said:
the OE ones may be neopreme or something instead of rubber and last a lot longer

The one that came off of it was rubber, I'm not sure what the dealer replacement is. I probably would have bought that if i knew it existed. I just assumed it didnt since when i had my jeep in for a recall they said i needed the whole thing replaced to fix the leak. It was something rediculous like $200 for them to do the repair.

The parts guy said, "Here's your $4 o-ring." I just said, "It could have been worse." Four dollars is a small price to pay because I got the exact part that I needed, and that was designed to go in there. And I didn't have to drive around looking for something that was "close". For certain things, I don't mind going to the dealer. And sometimes I prefer it for the peace of mind.

And BTW, it's just plain rubber. :)

Honestly, I probably would have paid the $4 too if I knew they had it. I probably spent a few hours driving around to different places trying to find the right one so it really want worth it now that I know they had it and if it had not been Saturday at like 5:00 so the dealer parts department was closed till monday. Hopefully it will save someone else a few bucks. I've driven another hundred or so miles and it hasnt leaked a drop so I'm pretty sure its fixed. I can get the O ring # if anyone is interested.

I did the same thing, mine was from HomeDepot for a sink or something. Tcase had been leaking for a few years, finally decided to clean it really good and see where it was coming from, I was very pleased to find out it was only an o-ring. The one I put in seemed to be a little fatter than the old so it was a snug fit...been bone dry for about a year now.... :)

Atl XJ said:
Well the guy at Autozone suggested that I go to Home Depot or Lowes and check out their plumbing department.

Yea, but have you noticed that strange flushing sound as you drive? Seriously, though, I love it when we beat the steelership! Don

Back