• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strangle me later, I need help!!!

INI SLDR

NAXJA Member #1347
Another gearing question, I used the search but I need real world opinions...

I have a 94 4 dr with:
4.6 stroker
headers/cat back
bored tb
high flow everything
d30/8.25 with zj discs
etc...

here is my problem:

randy's r and p says that for 33's I need 4.10's to return to stock performance

Almost everyone on the forum says to go with 4.56 or 4.88's
Whats the deal? I used the calculator on their site and it goes like this:

4.88 and 33's @ 70mph = 2435rpm
4.56 and 33's @ 70mph = 2275
4.10 and 33's @ 70mph = 2046
3.55 and 30's @ 70mph = 1948 ( my current setup )

real world for me was 2100ish @ 70 with 30's and 3.55's but whatever...

I need to retain its DD status for the highway but I do wheel when I get the chance, I tow almost nothing except my wife/dogs and gear. Plan on lifting a little and cutting a lot to stay low and get 33's. So which gear is it?

What if I used a 33 all season and swapped to 33-35 mudders for wheeling trips?

I have an older (88) 4.0, which likes lower RPMs, with the newer (94) AW4 auto. I have run the following combinations:

4.10 - 33s
4.88 - 33s
4.88 - 35s

The first and third combination suck quite frankly, and I really like 4.88 with 33s. Gas mileage is also best by far with the second combination. Strokers usually make their power a little lower than normal, but the Renix 4.0 also makes it's power down lower than the HO.

Basically the choice is between 4.88 and 4.56, and depends on whether you ever cruise at 80+ and whether you plan on moving up to 35s ever.

edit: everything written above was written purely from a street driven perspective. if it was mostly for wheelin I would have answered differently.

INI SLDR said:
d30/8.25 with zj discs

run the deepest you can get - 4.56

the 4.11's dont take into acount the increase of rotating mass that larger tires incurs... it takes more oomph to get the monsters to move...

end of discussion...

XJ_ranger said:
run the deepest you can get - 4.56

the 4.11's dont take into acount the increase of rotating mass that larger tires incurs... it takes more oomph to get the monsters to move...

end of discussion...
yep, I usually look for that, forgot this time. 4.56, end of discussion.

With the 8.25, you;re limited to 4.56 gears. Which is what I'm running with 33 inch tires. I just think 4.10 gears would be kinda sluggish.

-edit- You guys are too quick. :)

okay, I lied :laugh3:, not end of discussion.

with a stroker, 33s or 35s, and (hopefully) a locker, a 27 spline 8.25 will not last at all. If you've upgraded to a 29 spline unit then fine, run 4.56 but I would hesitate to run 35s with a locker and stroker. If you have not upgraded the 8.25, you may want to swap to a D44, 8.8, 9" etc before regearing, which opens up some more options (ie 4.88s)

INI SLDR said:
randy's r and p says that for 33's I need 4.10's to return to stock performance

Almost everyone on the forum says to go with 4.56 or 4.88's
Whats the deal? I used the calculator on their site and it goes like this:

4.88 and 33's @ 70mph = 2435rpm
4.56 and 33's @ 70mph = 2275
4.10 and 33's @ 70mph = 2046
3.55 and 30's @ 70mph = 1948 ( my current setup )

real world for me was 2100ish @ 70 with 30's and 3.55's but whatever...

The deal is that everyone on here runs an XJ or MJ, whereas Randy's and every other calculator you'll find out there is a generalization. Tell us the truth, you're not really happy with your current gearing, are you? Even considering the added torque of the stroker, it's just not quite low enough, is it? So consider how it will feel when you raise it further up into the airstream and add a heavier set of tires with greater rolling resistance. If you aim to maintain your current rev range at 70 with the taller tires, it will feel less satisfactory than the math would seem to indicate.
I run 33s and 4.88s and LOVE it. That said, for a true DD you'd probably be happier with the 4.56s and your stroker. If I were you, I wouldn't even be considering 4.10s.

Edit:
DAMN! Six posts in the time it took me to type mine!
I too overlooked the 8.25 limitation.
oh well

Last edited:
I don't plan on going larger than 33's for the street. I was also thinking of running 33x9.50s for the street and 12.50s for trips.

It seems that 4.56 would raise the rpms @ cruise and more rpms = more gas/wear on the motor, right?

If the Randy's R&P calculators suggestion of 4.10s doesn't take into account of the larger mass of the tire wouldn't my stroker offset that somewhat? I'm not set on 4.10s, just trying to understand overall change in driveability.

the randy's calculator is trying to generalize everything from 1.3l Suzukis to 454 big-block Chevy pickups.

we have essentially the same motor, tranny and tires as you. trust us.

Here is some advice from someone also running a stroker, and with MANY years of built XJ experience; READ THIS: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46901

If you went to 16" jeep aluminum wheels and 33" tires I would think that they would be a bit lighter weight wise for day to day driving. I too would go with the deepest gears. I've got 3:07's and am dying to put my 4:10's in....

Thanks for all the input guys, Armstrong you cinched it for me, 4.56 it is. 4.10's just seem limited...

INI SLDR said:
Thanks for all the input guys, Armstrong you cinched it for me, 4.56 it is. 4.10's just seem limited...

:party: I WIN! I WIN!

I really must update my screen name, however. Just call me What Road.

Seriously - you'll be much happier with the lower gearing. Now get busy either upgrading the axles in that 8.25 or swapping it out.
:wave1:

extankerguy said:
Anyone running 4.56s and 31s?

I did...for about two weeks before I was able to get my new tires. I actually liked it. The Jeep was really peppy. But I'm sure gas mileage suffered.

Back