• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rocker protection and Hi lift jacking...

Royce

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys looking for a little feedback on an idea I am gonna work on in the next few weeks.

I was thinking of getting some angled steel (3/16's thick) and cut the angles at the ends to go flush with the the flairs and then using some stainless sheet metal self tapping screws to bolt them on at the rockers. Countersinking the holes in the steel so it is flush and looks presentable.

Right now I have no rocker protection, and basically no way (that I can think of using a hi lift jack) of jacking my vehicle to even put on the full size spare if something would happen.

So, if i get the steel to come say ~3" up on the rockers from the bottomm corner, and say ~3" on the bottom (under the rockers) it being 3/16 thick should provide a good place to hi lift jack on right?

I have some pics here, that I saw online. should be a cheap and easy project. What do you guys think. Right about no im looking to have a jacking point as well as a lil protection for the ribs of the xj. At this point the whole pivoting on a liders to get around something isn't necessary.

i-1.JPG

i-2.JPG

i-4.JPG

But you wont like it!!!!

The thing to remember on the XJ is that the rockers don't form a 90 degree angle. So wherever you would attach sheetmetal screws would be entering at an angle especially on the vertical piece. Personally I think this rocker protection looks pretty weak as it relies on the thin rocker material as it's base for mounting. If you're set on doing it I would recommend using just 1/8" and pop rivets. 3/16 is going to be a lot of weight to hang from sheetmetal and sheetmetal screws in that thin stuff isn't going to provide much bite. Jacking it up with a high-lift is one thing, slam that sucker on a rock or stump and see what happens.

Oh, I am sure it wont hold up coming down hard on anything, let alone a rock. I just need something on there until I pull together enough loot for some nice sliders. The jacking deal is what I am mainly focusing on right now. 1/8" would hold for jacking shouldnt it.

I am a newbie on this board but personaly I would try and track down some used ones. For what your going to spend in time , and materials to do this project not to mention extra holes in your jeep. You could have probably snagged a set of used sliders.

Just a thought. :anon:

Wilson0309

Hey there is a guy parting out his XJ and here are his sliders. Not sure how much shipping is going to be for ya but here yea go!

Rock Sliders

:anon:

When you jack up your XJ by the rockers the body of the XJ will bend (and I'm not talking about denting sheetmetal) and you'll probably see that if you try to open the door, it'll stick a bit. So be careful. (Don't ask me how I know)

How do you know... lol. Did you jack right on the rockers or did you have something else there like what I was planning on doing?

I replaced the sheetmetal rocker panels with rectangular steel tubing. When I jack up the XJ using the rockers, the front end sacks distorting the door frame. I had to park my XJ like that for a few days when my front axle failed and the front left tire departed for parts unknown on the freeway. I placed a jackstand under the left side rocker panel, then when I wasn't looking the right rear tire went flat due to a slow leak. The stresses cracked my windscreen. Of course after 3 or 4 years of hard wheeling and two hard hitting collisions the chassis has more cracks than a dry lake bed in Death Valley. Anyone have a two door Cherokee with a clean crack and rust free body I could have cheap? Or better- nothing?

Back