• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some help...

Knownuser04

NAXJA Forum User
Ok here it goes, I have a stock '88 xj, 4.0l, 5spd. I was driving through some trails yesterday, nothing to brutal, and i drove through a puddle that was probably 20" deep on the right side, and my left side barely went under. The puddle was only about 4 feet long but did make a pretty big splash. I didn't notice anything right after the puddle, but as i drove out of the trail head onto the road i heard a thunk, kinda loud, but it sounded mechanical. When I started driving on the road, it was running really rough. At low rpms, giving it a little bit of throttle, it would hesitate, like it was only running of 3 cylinders. At high rpm's it went away, or i just couldnt notice it. I got to my friends house, and shut it off. Two hours later i went back out to try and start it, it would turn over but not start. I pulled 2 plugs, put them back in, and it barely started. It ran decent after about 10 seconds, and then i shut if off. I havent done anything else, but have tryed to start it 3 more times and nothing happened. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks a lot in advance.

do a search on here

but its probably wet ignition components... (ign wires, cap and rotor etc)

maybe start by pulling off cap and rotor and blowing the water out of there, then spray with WD40

pull each ign wire off, 1 at a time and make sure they EACH connection is clean and dry

how were the 2 plugs u pulled out? perfectyly clean and dry or any evidence of water in there?

if you have ANY water in any cylinder, u neeed to pull all plugs out, and turn the motor over to (try and ) push all of he water out of each cylinder

god luck

Back