• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Stroker Q's.. '89 to '99 swap advice

HEP111

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

I would like some input from the experience base out there on swapping my '89's stroked block into my '99's. Specifically what will and won't fit, any techniques/advice/things to look out for etc. I learned a little by wrenching a bunch on the '89 but by no means am too proud to know I don't know it all. My mechanical ability is average I think i.e. I can take the block out/do a SYE etc but honing, port and polish, gear backlash to name a few is a big?? As I'm building the '99 to take me through the next 10+ years or until ANY car manufacture will start making a vehicle worth building and wheeling again; I want to do this Right the first time.
The Q's are: is it as easy as swapping the stroked block and cylinder head to the '99's intake manifold? Will my Thorley headers fit in with the newer intake above it? Any electronic issues? Hell, do I use the old or new valve cover?? ANY way to fit the old ford 24lbs. injectors to the new fuel rail or is that a lost cause? (could have sworn I saw someone file/modify old to new to work...) Whaata am I forgetting? Thank you for any constructive input heh heh....

The easiest approach would be to swap the '89 stroker short block into your '99 XJ and reuse all the other existing '99 components (head, timing gear, rocker assemblies, pushrods, valve cover, intake manifold, fuel rail, etc.). The Ford 24lb injectors WILL fit in the '99 fuel rail, but you might need to lightly modify the injector wiring plugs to make them fit..

Back