• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thermostat use or no use ?

rpaniza

NAXJA Forum User
I live in Rep. of Panama, and the weather is hot all the year. My car is jeep cherokee 99 4.0l 6 cil. Some people say to me that does not use thermostat of the cooling system. How affects if it use or not it use?

Sorry me english is no too good.

Thanks.

With no thermostat your motor will circulate coolant through the motor and radiator constantly, resulting in cool operation. If you live in a very hot climate it might make sense to not have a thermostat. It probably has one but rated at a lower temperature?

FUNKYTEE5

At the moment it has the thermostat that comes from factory. I believe that it works between 90 and 100 degrees.

Use the thermostat. The thermostat creates two separate pressure zones within the engine which allows the system to work better. Higher pressure in the block to absorb more heat, and lower pressure in the radiator to release more heat.

FUNKYTEE5 said:
With no thermostat your motor will circulate coolant through the motor and radiator constantly, resulting in cool operation. If you live in a very hot climate it might make sense to not have a thermostat. It probably has one but rated at a lower temperature?

FUNKYTEE5
:twak: NOPE. The 4.0 works best at a particular temperature and that's what the t-stat controls: it helps it stay within a particular range. If you remove it and it's a cool morning it will run too cool which is bad. If you remove and it's a warm day and it would have opened up anyways, you gained nothing. Anyways, the bottom line is to keep the tstat and to use the stock tstat (195 IIRC).

OK, now is there a particular problem that you would want to address by removing the thermostat? if not, then do not mess with it (short of replacing it every so often).

It is good reasoning, I will continue using the thermostat. I do not gain anything when not using it. Thanks

If it´s not running above a hundred (often), I´d leave the thermostat alone. The engine runs best. makes the most PS (or horsepower), and probably uses less gas, at right a round 90-100 deg celcius. I usually don´t worry, unless it goes above 105 deg celcius, then I watch closely.
The original thermostat opens at around 90 celsius. Motor was designed to run at around that temperature or slightly higher.
I´ve used a 80-85 degree celcius thermostat before, it really didn´t help much. It did help some, when driving with a trailer in the mountains.
I´ve learned that very slow or very fast driving, caused most of my high heat problems.
The temperature gauge, isn't always exact. Plus or minus 5 deg isn´t unusal.

Back