• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 abs to 96 non abs conversion

sixditch

NAXJA Forum User
got a question for you guys, already searched but came up with nothing--

i have a totalled 96 non abs parts jeep and a new 99 with abs. I want to convert the 99 to non abs. I know I have to remove the fuses and pump, but i was wondering if the 96 non abs was the same as the 99 non abs? I hope this makes sense! basically i want to switch the 96 non abs hardlines in place of the 99 abs components(pump and lines) will this work? is there a difference in the two years? or will i have to get the non abs components from the same year (1999) jeep

any info. would be great thanks

sixditch said:
got a question for you guys, already searched but came up with nothing--

i have a totalled 96 non abs parts jeep and a new 99 with abs. I want to convert the 99 to non abs. I know I have to remove the fuses and pump, but i was wondering if the 96 non abs was the same as the 99 non abs? I hope this makes sense! basically i want to switch the 96 non abs hardlines in place of the 99 abs components(pump and lines) will this work? is there a difference in the two years? or will i have to get the non abs components from the same year (1999) jeep

any info. would be great thanks
Something to consider is the comp: will it not complain about the lack of ABS or lack of data from the sensors?

I did this two weeks back and haven't had any problems at all. Been replacing my beat '87 with an '01 XJ, and swapped the axles out to (a) retain gearing and lockers, and (b) rid myself of ABS axles/shafts. Here's what I did:

1) Completely removed the ABS computer and assembly.
2) Swapped in a non-ABS proportioning valve from an '00 XJ
3) Replaced front hard-lines with those from same '00 model.
4) Bleed brakes

The last thing I did was remove the ABS warning light lamp from the dash, although that was cosmetic. :)

BTW, the rear hard-lines don't need to be replaced, which was a relief and saved a bit of time. The prop valve/lines ran me $25 from a pull-it junk yard.

-don

Back