• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Faster Jeep

TriZZle904

NAXJA Forum User
I want to make my jeep faster and to improve the horse power of my jeep.. I have a 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport... where do i start? I think stock hp is 190 which isnt too bad..

Faster or more power?
Cat Back Exhaust system, bored throttle body and spacer. High Alt. Crank Sensor, header, Open K&N Filter FIPK. Larger injectors, adjustable fuel pressurer reg, the right ring and pinion to match your tires if you have a lift will always help. Jet Chip, Python computer box. All of this cost money to do. So the most bang for the buck is a K&N filter and exhaust system to start. You should be able to get another 15-20hp with these mods, maybe more or less. Hope this helps. Juice

There is no high altitude CPS for the Chrysler years -- that's available only for the Renix models. The Jet chip is available and does about the same thing -- it advances ignition timing, as well as altering the fuel map slightly. The Jet chip will require that you run 93 octane fuel.

It really comes down to how much of an increase you want, and how much you want to spend. Are you really looking for "speed," or are you actually looking for "acceleration"? The stock XJ will go faster than any speed limit in the U.S., and faster than it is safe to drive it (especially considering the high center of gravity and the XJ's legendary crappy brakes), so I find it hard to believe that what you really want is "speed."

Check out the list of mods on my XJ. It's quick enough to take care of a 2002 GTI off the line up to about 75 mph(and that was without nitrous). Got a few more tricks up my sleeve left before I finish this motor off. Give it a couple of years and this motor is going on the for sale forum and the LT1 motor will be going on the wanted forum.

Jamie

This should make your rig faster. Let us know how the install goes!

http://www.mopartsracing.com/parts/blocks.html

HEMI
528" HEMI-610 horsepower V8 crate motor $14,995.00

Mopar performance has developed a king kong size 528 hemi crate motor which cranks out a whopping 610 horsepower and 650 ft.-lbs. of torque! Features include: Heavy-duty siamesed bore cast iron block with cross-bolted mains. Aluminum heads,stainless steel 2.25" intake valves and 1.94" exhaust valves. Heavy-duty single valve springs. premium material valve stem seals. A 292 degree- .524"/ .543" lift hydraulic cam. forged 10.25:1 compression ratio pistons- 4.500" bore. Aluminum dual plane M1 4 bbl intake manifold. Forged steel crankshaft-4.15" stroke. Precision double roller timing chain and sprockets. Spark plugs,wires,and breathers included. Heavy-duty engine stand and shipping crate included. the 610 horsepower Hemi comes with mopar performance parts cast aluminum valve covers and chrome front cover,as well as mopar's precise high performance electronic distributor. the motor comes with a basic 6 quart rear sump oil pan (1970-71 B/E-body style) mopar performance parts recommends that for maximum performance,a 850/900 cfm holley carburetor and 2 1/4" headers be used. ( NOT INCLUDED)

CRASH

There are fast cars you make faster, and slow cars you make less slow....welcome to the world of less slow.

i guess what im wanting is acceleration (faster quarter mile time) but i just get tired of seeing the speedometers top speed at 85mph so i do want speed to some extent... thank you everyone for your responses... CRASH... i wish i could afford that lol

Go to Jeepsunlimited, then go to the Speedfreaks forum look for Dino Savaa, he has a page on what to do to maximize your XJ without opening it up.

IMHO, best thing you can do, is fabricate a supercharger system, most bang for the buck.

XJguy

OK fist off befor you add all sorts of things start with th basics. Get some good plugs and wires( i like the bosh +4s and get a good wire not the basic replacement) and make sure your fuel filter is in good shape. next step is a good muffler and tail pipe either get an after market one or find a good local shop to do a ssytem for you. for what you spend on a borla cat back oyou can get a high flow converter and muffler at a good loacal shop. Nxet chuck the stock air box and either make your self an in take or buy one( I know that I'm going to get flamed by some for saying that since "it will only get hot air and wount gain you any thing" but its not hard to prevent that by either useing a shielded filter and routing it up front or just makeing a shield like K&Ns FIPK. Nxt would be a larger TB And once again yuou can do it yourself, or have a machine shop bore it for about 40 bucks of go after market. next would be a header witch borla seems to be the best one for XJs. afyer all that you can start working with tuning the fuel system with adustable map sensor and injecters.
If thats not enough you caneither blow your money on forced in duction or go in to the motor and do a cam and valve train even a big valve head from Accurate or realy dig in to it and stroke it.

XJguy said:
Go to Jeepsunlimited, then go to the Speedfreaks forum look for Dino Savaa, he has a page on what to do to maximize your XJ without opening it up.

IMHO, best thing you can do, is fabricate a supercharger system, most bang for the buck.

XJguy

I agree...positive manifold displacement is you're only "bolt on" option.

Dino has some good common sense mods but his numbers are obtained with a handheld stopwatch...and thus his HP numbers are ballpark at best.

I'm not trying to slam Dino...he's approach is valid...his numbers just shouldn't be considered "Emporical Data"

TriZZle904 said:
i guess what im wanting is acceleration (faster quarter mile time)

So you want "quicker," not "faster." That's what I thought.

Gears. More gear will give you better acceleration even with no changes to the engine. Do the math for acceleration-to-distance and you'll see that in a drag race the vehicle that spools up quicker off the line is the one that covers the quarter mile in the shortest time, even if the other guy ends up turning more MPH crossing the line.

i have an automatic so what can i do to change the gear ratio... i guess.... ill want to do that soon since i wont have enough money to do most of the other stuff until later

TriZZle904 said:
i have an automatic so what can i do to change the gear ratio... i guess.... ill want to do that soon since i wont have enough money to do most of the other stuff until later

Transmission doesn't matter -- you're not changing tranny gears. You replace the ring and pinion in the axles. But it isn't cheap -- assuming you have 4WD, you have to do both axles, or you can't use the 4WD. The cheapest way to do it is actually to find a pair of axles out of a 4-cyl that has 3.73 or 4.10 gears, and swap over the entire axle assemblies.

i was going to do most of the suggestions... including finding out about how to buy or getting shop to make me a custom one but just not in th near future... i just wanted something somewhat "cheap" to do now unil i start the other stuff in november... im still spending money on the exterior.. and then im going to interior

I can't even imagine how expensive it would be to install that 528 Hemi into a XJ! Even if you were given the motor I am sure it would cost about the cost of the motor again to put it in. I think I am going to have to wait until I get out of college at least before I have the $$$ to drop in one of those, of course not having a girlfriend/wife saves a lot of cash!!!

Back